Re: Let's pretend Re: Guidance needed: Resource Providers acceptable practices?

Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com> Mon, 15 September 1997 15:36 UTC

To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Let's pretend Re: Guidance needed: Resource Providers acceptable practices?
Sender: ietf-request@ietf.org
From: Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:33:06 -0700
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Thanks Scott for digging out the IETF Secretariet polcies and rules.

Seems to me that this discussion shoudl thus consieder the reality
that exists in the requirement for WG Archives to accessible.

It seems to me that blocking of HTTP or FTP or ARCHIE or whatever
access to archive libraries is a far simplier issue to resolve than
that of blocking EMail spam.

So, I suggest that we not mix these together, though I have no
objection to separate discussion of both.  I strongly suspect that if
some ISP or some user on the INternet mounted a denial of service on
out IETF WG Archive Servers using HTTP or FTP tools, we would feel
justified in blocking that person somehow.  But, since these are all
"oull" techologies, they do not suffer from the junk mail aspects of
spam.

Cheers...\Stef

From Scott Bradner's message Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:11:02 -0400 (EDT):
}
}Stef sez:
}I am strenuously opposed to the idea of centralizing all WG mailing
}lists under Sercertariat control.  This would require procedures for
}approval and delays in decision making, and involve grey area cases
}for BOFS before they hold their first BOF, etc, et al, ad nauseum.
}
}--
}
}from draft-ietf-poisson-wg-guide-01.txt (wording checked by Coya)
}
}Mailing list
}
}An IETF working group MUST have a general Internet mailing list.
}
}. . .
}
}3. The location of the mailing list archive. A message archive MUST be
}maintained in a public place which can be accessed via FTP or via the web.
}order that a copy of all mailing list messages is sent to an archive at the
}IETF Secretariat. There is an archive of a number of working group mailing
}lists at ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archives. This is a service offered by the
}IETF Secretariat but it does not eliminate the need for each WG to maintain
}their own set of archives.  NOTE: In keeping with the general IETF rule for
}openness, the membership of the mailing list must be made available.
}
}---
}
}comments to the poisson mailing list