Address Ownership Draft comments

"Albert E. Manfredi" <manfredi@engr05.comsys.rockwell.com> Fri, 09 February 1996 16:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:03:41 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Albert E. Manfredi" <manfredi@engr05.comsys.rockwell.com>
To: ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Address Ownership Draft comments

I read with great interest draft-ietf-cidrd-addr-ownership-07.txt. A few
comments, no disagreement from me, came to mind.

1. It is not by accident that the telcos around the world have been
practicing what this document calls "address lending" for such a long
time. I would agree that constraining the topology is unrealistic and
that the Internet isn't going to get any smaller, so there seems to be no
more credible solution right now.

2. The functionality that some sort of "address portability" scheme would
provide is really no different from what the existing Domain Name System
(DNS) provides. As one who has "been renumbered" twice already, I can
vouch that the hassle is purely internal and short-term. Inventing an
address portability scheme, in my opinion, would just duplicate the DNS
with a numbers-only database.

3. Given the above, I would be more insistent on an "address lending"
policy.

4. The Internet has many service providers already, which is why a
topology tied to geography alone is not useful. At first, one might find
this reason enough to discard any links with the telco schemes (E.164).
But in fact, the telcos will also have to accommodate multiple providers
in the local loop, so as things stand now, i.e. with CIDR in the Internet
and with multiple providers in the telco local loop, I see no distinction
in the goals and in the design of these addressing schemes. The
differences in the near future, as far as I can tell, are only in the
nitty gritty of formats.

5. The implications to ip-atm's ROLC, ND, NHRP, ... , of this evolving
state of affairs are interesting indeed. In a positive sense.

Bert
manfredi@engr05.comsys.rockwell.com