[EAI] Downgrade simplifications

Ernie Dainow <edainow@ca.afilias.info> Tue, 04 August 2009 15:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:25:38 -0400
From: Ernie Dainow <edainow@ca.afilias.info>
To: ima@ietf.org
Subject: [EAI] Downgrade simplifications

I think there are a number of things we can change to make Downgrade
simpler and have less impact on existing email systems yet still provide
the key backward compatibility that many people feel is important to the
success of EAI.

The current design of Downgrade is very comprehensive. A lot of clever
things were done to provide Downgrade in every possible situation and to
provide a complete audit trail through the use of new Downgraded headers
that also provide the ability to reconstruct the original UTF8 address
information (Downgraded display). We can greatly simplify Downgrade by
limiting the design goals to support only essential cases and make clear
that Downgrade is an interim feature, is not perfect and does not
provide a complete audit trail.

1. As recommended in 4.2 of  draft-ietf-eai-email-clients and in various
emails on the EAI list, we should consider downgrade of forward-pointing
(recipient) addresses as a configuration error and not something that
Downgrade needs to support. Then we can remove Alternate Addresses for
recipients. I think this would also allow us to redesign Downgrade
without the double angle bracket syntax which seems to be the source of
a lot of compatibility and security concerns.

2. Implementation of Downgrade is currently an option for MUA, POP/IMAP.
Consideration of these cases in draft-ietf-eai-email-clients (3.1.1,
3.2) is that these are unusual configurations. The standard should be
explicit and state that Downgrade is only done by MTAs.

3. While an audit trail and ability to display original UTF8 addresses
from a Downgraded message is a nice feature, some people consider the
case in which this is useful to be a configuration error (an EAI MUA,
POP or IMAP behind a non-EAI MTA.). In any case, it is not an essential
feature within the revised design goals outlined above. If it is
dropped, then all the added "Downgraded-" headers can be dropped.

4. Alternate Addresses for the sender can be handled in the "Accounts"
setting of the MUA. They can also be provided by the SMTP server, as in
draft-yao-eai-deployment. Since there is no interface for the MUA to
find out from the server if it needs to provide Alternate Addresses or
not, this ambiguity may lead to unexpected behavior in terms of which
Alternate Address gets used if it is provided by both. While the server
solution offers a certain amount of transparency to the end user, the
MUA solution is more general in that it supports a legacy ASCII Address
that may be on a different email provider. The standard should resolve
this ambiguity and specify that Alternate Address for the sender is
provided by the MUA and not the server.

5. Capturing UTF8 addresses in empty groups when Downgrading should be
dropped. This has numerous interoperability problems with existing mail
clients (3.2.1 in draft-ietf-eai-email-clients).

To make a clean line between Downgrade and the rest of the EAI standard,
so that we can move ahead with standards track of the latter while
continuing to work on experimental track Downgrade, all normative
requirements relating to Downgrade should be pulled out of the EAI
documents and moved into the Downgrade document. So for example, the
ALT-ADDRESS parameter should be moved from RFC 5336 to the Downgrade
document and the addr-spec for double angle brackets moved out of RFC
5335 into the Downgrade doc (or dropped if 1. above can be achieved).

   -Ernie Dainow