Re: [EAI] 5336bis

Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com> Sat, 25 December 2010 04:36 UTC

From: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>
To: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, "ima@ietf.org" <ima@ietf.org>, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 04:39:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.123.12]
Subject: Re: [EAI] 5336bis

Thanks, I hadn't seen a reply yet.  I understand, but this is the kind of "leaking" that makes IDN horrible to interoperate with.  Sure, the tools may not be Unicode aware, but they also may not be Punycode aware, meaning that someone has to figure out how to translate it.

IMO the headers are EAI, so these should only happen on an EAI aware system, in which case the tools should be updated :)  Eg: something could be broken no matter what, so I'd prefer it was broken in a forward-looking way, then at least when the tools got fixed they wouldn't always have to have the punycode hack.

And this doesn't help much for other data in the header, or local parts.

-Shawn

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnste