[imap5] Comments on draft-gulbrandsen-imap-move-01

Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name> Thu, 31 May 2012 14:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:20:12 -0400
From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
To: imap5@ietf.org
Subject: [imap5] Comments on draft-gulbrandsen-imap-move-01

Hi,
Some comments on the move extension draft:

- §2: what is the problem with sequence MOVE and EXPUNGE? For what it is
worth Mulberry has always preferred sequence over uids when online (it uses
UID commands when doing disconnected play back). That said, mapping to uids
is no big deal (and should not be a big deal for any other client that
might use sequence in normal operation).

- §2: "atomically" - I would prefer not to use the term "atomic" given
that we are allowing partial failures (i.e., some messages might not be
moved, whilst others are). So in the first paragraph I suggest changing
"atomically" to "using a single command".

- §3: This needs a 3501-like "formal" definition with Arguments:,
preservation of flags (see note below) and internal date. We need to decide
whether the \Recent flag is set like COPY (probably should be). Also, the
[TRYCREATE] behavior from COPY should be re-used. Should probably note that
this command is only valid in selected state (or include a comment to that
effect in the formal syntax which 3501 does for the command-select syntax
element).

- §3, ¶2: "UID EXPUNGE" - need a reference to the UIDPLUS extension.

- §3, ¶4: states that \Deleted must not be set in the target mailbox. But
what if the messages being moved already had \Deleted set prior to the
move? Shouldn't we just state that the flag/keywords prior to the move must
be set on the messages in the target mailbox?

- §3: As already mentioned, EXPUNGE responses need to be present. Might be
worth pointing out that there could be a * EXPUNGE for a message not being
moved, but which got expunged in another session. Actually, more
complicated is the case where a message being moved was expunged in another
session - presumably that message is not moved? Yet it would get reported
in a * EXPUNGE, but not be part of the COPYUID set.

- §3: Might want to make it clear that * FETCH FLAGS is NOT sent if moved
messages have \Deleted added as part of the "internal" server
implementation of move.

- §3: Example: change "@S:" to "S:".

- §3: COPYUID response in the argument is wrong - it should have three
values: destination mailbox UIDVALIDITY, set of uids from source mailbox,
set of uids in destination mailbox. Current example only shows one set of
uids.

- §4: whilst no one may implement it, there still ought to be a reference
to the interaction with ANNOTATE. ANNOTATE §4.6 has detailed text on the
interaction with COPY and something similar is needed for MOVE.

- §6: "command" is not the right syntax element to extend. I would suggest
defining a uidmove element and then use that to extend the 3501 uid element:

    uidmove =  "UID MOVE" SP set SP mailbox
    uid     =/ uidmove

--
Cyrus Daboo