[imap5] Considerations from Akonadi/Kontact/Kmail implementers

Jeroen van Meeuwen <vanmeeuwen@kolabsys.com> Fri, 17 February 2012 06:17 UTC

From: Jeroen van Meeuwen <vanmeeuwen@kolabsys.com>
To: imap5@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 06:16:55 +0000
Subject: [imap5] Considerations from Akonadi/Kontact/Kmail implementers

Hello there,

Having attended the KDE PIM development sprint in Osnabrueck last weekend,
I wanted to start summarizing the feedback I've gotten so far, from the
developers of the KDE PIM stack, responsible for Kontact (Kmail), Akonadi[1]
and Nepomuk. This is not the complete feedback, however, and I hope to be able
to find ways to have the actual implementors render their own feedback on this
list.

I'd like to view this feedback in the realm of personal information
management, as some things may be workarounds for deficiencies in IMAP4, and
other things may just simply not apply (to IMAP4, or even to IMAP5).

Also, let me state this is only some initial feedback; Akonadi implements a
interface that takes a subset of IMAP4 commands, enhanced to serve its use-
cases. I think that's very valuable feedback for the IMAP5 discussion, as it
clearly points out what this particular client implementer needs, and what
they don't (i.e. what they could do away with in IMAP5, perhaps).

First of all, please allow me to illustrate where Akonadi fits in, in relation
to Kmail / Kontact.

Akonadi is used as the universal storage layer for information aggregated
through/from different resources - one of them is an IMAP resource. When the
client (Kmail for email) wants to speak IMAP, it speaks a derivative "Almost
IMAP" protocol to Akonadi - Akonadi spawns an "IMAP Agent" to get the actual
data out of IMAP - which of course speaks IMAP "fluently".

Akonadi is also the storage for the other applications wrapped up in Kontact -
calendars, contacts, notes, tasks, journals, etc. Obviously, traditionally, an
IMAP4 client has had to find another place to store such data.

So, in the realm of things they made disappear or want, or that Kolab would
like to offer for consideration;

- No more selecting any mailboxes in order to allow operations against it.

I suppose this mandates all operations use full or relative URIs, such as:

  C: <tag> FETCH "/Folder/Sub-Folder/<uid>"

and:

  C: <tab> APPEND "/Folder/Sub-Folder/" <message>

There's been words about notification systems, possibly using a global
UIDVALIDITY / MODSEQ, that I think are a step in the right direction to do
away with mailbox-by-mailbox selection to get one's hands on any changes.

- Simplification of getting folder properties, including size,
MODSEQ/UIDVALIDITY/UIDNEXT and other such metadata on the state, quota(root),
ACLs (MYRIGHTS/GETACL simplification), METADATA, etc.

- "Fast" synchronization (of selected state changes only) - it's been
suggested sometimes a client is only interested in NEW messages, or NEW before
any other action(s)/change(s) are communicated (i.e. other actions such as
flag changes, deletions, etc.). Please note I think QRESYNC is already
supported, but on a mailbox-per-mailbox basis, it's still "slow" and doesn't
allow one to get only to NEW messages, for example.

- Rather specifically pointing in one direction, but the work that's been done
by Opera on conversations is very interesting to the Kontact client
developers.

- The concept of "local" subscriptions could be translated into a mechanism
that allows a client to subscribe to notifications on changes on explicit
(sets of) folders.

Right now, there seems to be a variety of selectors;

  a) server-side subscriptions, which is only ever one list,
  b) namespaces (INBOX/, user/, shared/, if you will),
  c) "local" subscriptions - where the client is configured to ignore certain
folders when pulling down the data. One can imagine one's Archive/* folders
need to be available in a web mailer, but not on a mobile device, for example.

- Access to different data than only traditional email, specifically items
that relate to groupware, such as (but not limited to) calendaring and
contacts. This is currently being performed with xcal/xcard attachments to
RFC822 messages. I think Calendaring and Contacts are first on the list of
things a "IMAP user" would want to see included.

- The requirements for client-side (full-text) search are
currently implemented using Nepomuk/Strigli, the interface/indexer, after
having obtained the original information from these messages (and decoding any
base64 or other encoding that is done in order to be able to store as
attachments).

- In light of projects, tasks, journal and notes, it is thought that
conversations (again) can be used / abused to build (on the client side) the
desired relationship trees between the various components within a project
(i.e. tasks, events, contacts, journal and notes, thus building "projects").

- It's also been considered that a good client protocol library might be
helpful. I'm not sure what this would look like exactly, but I suppose such
library would take away a little of the protocol parameter(s) syntax
complexity. Bonus points, of course, if bindings for various languages could
be generated on top of such library.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi