Re: Proceedings for IMAPEXT meeting at IETF 63

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Tue, 09 August 2005 11:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:00:16 +0100
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
CC: IMAP WG <ietf-imapext@imc.org>
Subject: Re: Proceedings for IMAPEXT meeting at IETF 63
Sender: owner-ietf-imapext@mail.imc.org

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> Here are the notes and the slides from the IMAPEXT meeting last week.
>
> Notes:
> http://ietf.webdav.org/imapext/notes/IETF63-imapext-notes.txt

Some editorial/clarifying comments for the notes below:

> There's a suggestion to extend the grammar such that we can later include
> "max 100" blah, but the change makes the grammar much more complex.

I was talking about LIST paged results, i.e. the client ask "return me
the first 100 mailboxes", later on it can ask "return the next 100", etc.

> Dave as
> client developer was in favour, Arnt was against until there are two good
> reasons. Alexey mentioned IMAPABNF, I didn't really get the point.

I think I've mentioned that it might be better if extended LIST ABNF is
moved to IMAPABNF draft. For example, ACL2 might use extended LIST
LIST-EXTENDED. But this is a separate issue to allowing option
parameters in LIST.

I've also said that I would hate to do an extension to LIST extension.

> Food for
> thought, he said. Tony Hansen cautioned against painting ourselves into
> a corner.
>
> Barry doesn't feel that he has guidance yet, just incidental opinions.
> Arnt
> emphasizes that give two good reasons, etc. Chris proposes erring on the
> side of complexity, since we've had to many too-limited list
> extensions in
> the past.

I think we had a weak consensus that extended LIST should allow for
options. Chris' argument was very convincing, at least for me.

> Interaction of REMOTE and RECURSIVEMATCH. Alexey: Would it be reasonable
> to return all mailboxes that might have remote children? Tricky
> discussion
> ensues - is it a no-op or not?

The question is what should the server that doesn't support any remote
mailboxes do.
REMOTE is not "return only remote mailboxes", it is "return all local +
remote mailboxes". So REMOTE RECURSIVE might be a bit counter intuitive,
because it doesn't answer the question "all mailboxes with remote children".

> Scribe is not alone being puzzled. Document
> needs clarification. Dave will provide some text.
>
> Currently, the CHILDINFO works like this: If the parent matches the
> pattern and the child the other requirement,

"the child doesn't match the pattern, but matches the selection criteria."

> the parent with CHILDINFO
> is returned. Is that what clients need? Phillip explains RECURSIVEMATCH:
> Clients want to find something, and doesn't want to use LIST *.
>
> Barry shows parent-child relationships on a way he eventually explains.
> Revision will ensue, and will be reviewed by people who don't get it. New
> revision Aug 19, then probably WGLC.
>
> ANNOTATE: Brief agreement that we don't need another WGLC. We'll push
> it on.
>
> IMAP ABNF:
>
>  - purpose: use of common syntax for all extension elements
>    (refactoring)
>  - which extended commands should be listed (suggestion to add CREATE
>    and maybe ESEARCH response)
>  - discussion about wording requirements on future documents
>
> Alexey has noted similar but different ABNF in several extensions, and
> wants that to be the same. Much silence in room. Arnt spoke in favour,
> saying we now have the experience to write such a document. Lisa
> suggests it's suitable individual submission and can be discussed on
> the list.

I've also clarified that consistent syntax doesn't change any existing
extension, it just make grammar more permissive in certain cases. This
should only affect future extensions.

> Alexey suggests adding ESEARCH to IMAP ABNF. Noone seems to understand
> the implications.

There are several extensions to SEARCH that need to be compatible with
each others:
1). "IMAP extension for referencing the last SEARCH result"
(draft-melnikov-imap-search-res-02.txt)
2). "IMAP4 extension to SEARCH command for controlling what kind of
information is returned" (draft-melnikov-imap-search-ret-01.txt)

Also, CONDSTORE extends SEARCH response, in the future it probably
should also use ESEARCH response as well.

> Hairsplitting over draft names. It's good to name things clearly enough
> that grep can find it. It's also good to mention thing on lemonade, since
> a small group of people are paying attention there.
>
> COMPARATOR and stuff: comparator is lost, can WG adopt? (Script edits
> that now.) Adoption carries. Phillip, Barry will review. Tony too. No
> rename is required. Arnt will submit with the right bullet, including
> Dave's comments.
>
> Tony likes comparator, thinks it's close.
>
> Lisa asks about who implements Annotate. Arnt, Dave, who else?
>
> Annotatemore and annotate: Depend on each other? Dave says amore has

typo: annotatemore

> been deployed, annotate not.

[...]