Re: draft-ietf-imapext-list-extensions-01.txt

Ken Murchison <ken@oceana.com> Mon, 23 July 2001 20:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:31:33 -0400
From: Ken Murchison <ken@oceana.com>
To: Barry Leiba <leiba@watson.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-imapext-list-extensions-01.txt
Sender: owner-ietf-imapext@mail.imc.org

Just for kicks, I started hacking a LISTEXT/LIST-SUBSCRIBED
implementation for Cyrus and came across a couple of nits and a couple
of questions.

Nits:

1. The discussion of \PlaceHolder incorrectly refers to \NoSelect
instead of \Noselect.

2. The second example uses the option SUBSCRIBE instead of SUBSCRIBED.

Questions:

1. Is \NonExistent ONLY intended to be used for subscribed mailboxes, or
can/should it be used for other mailboxes in the hierarchy.  For
example, we have a subscribed mailbox foo/bar, but mailbox foo doesn't
exist.  Should LIST (SUBSCRIBED) "" % return

* LIST (\NonExistent \PlaceHolder) "/" "foo"

or should \Noselect be used in place of \Nonexistent?  Or, is just
\PlaceHolder sufficient?

2. What should the flags be for a LIST response which returns just a
namespace prefix?  For instance, given the namespace

* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) (("Other Users/" "/")) (("Shared Folders/" "/"))

and assuming that we have mailbox "Shared Folders/foo" which is
subscribed and exists, should LIST (SUBSCRIBED) " % return

* LIST (\Noselect \PlaceHolder) "/" "Shared Folders"

or should it return only one or the other?  Should \NonExistent be used
in place of \Noselect?

3. When doing a LIST (SUBSCRIBED CHILDREN), does the presence of
\PlaceHolder imply \HasChildren, or should both flags be returned (ala
\Noinferiors implies and supercedes \HasNoChildren)?

4. Are there any existing clients which implement standalone CHILDREN
(draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox), and would benefit from Cyrus
advertising it in addition to LISTEXT, or should any new CHILDREN
implementations do so only under the LISTEXT umbrella?

Thanks,
Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127