Re: Client ID extension

"Mike Gahrns" <mikega@microsoft.com> Thu, 01 July 1999 20:09 UTC

From: Mike Gahrns <mikega@microsoft.com>
To: "Rubinstein, Dmitry" <Dimrub@icomverse.com>, ietf-imapext@imc.org
Subject: Re: Client ID extension
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:45:03 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-imapext@imc.org

Dmitry writes:
> > From: Mike Gahrns [mailto:mikega@microsoft.com]
> > Given that there seems to be
> > reasonable
> > number of people who concur that this type of functionality
> > would be useful,
> > moving the extension forward should hopefully be rather
> > straight foward with
> > only minor changes needed.
>

> OK then, what are the needed changes? Below is the original draft for your
> reference.
Since there was a lot of concerns about the potential abuse of it and
privacy concerns, we probably should have stronger language regarding the
caveats around this to avoid potential abuse.  e.g. in the client parameter
list it states any value over and above the defined fields can be sent.  I
think you'd want a stronger privacy statement here, in case people start
sending more than the defined fields and include things like Processor ID,
MAC address etc.  (I certainly don't want to start a discussion regarding
the merits or non-merits of including this type of info, but I think it
would be wise to have strong language here)

In the security section,  it should be noted that knowing the make/type of
client/server could make it easier for hackers to exploit known
vulnerabilities with particular software.

If you cruise through the IMAP archives you'll probably find some other
comments as well.  If memory serves me correctly, I think the author, Tim
Showalter, said that he had a list of changes he wanted to incorporate.

In any event, I think any changes would be minor in nature, and would be
more along the lines of "editorial" type changes.