Re: draft-gahrns-imap-language-01

Alexey Melnikov <Alexey.Melnikov@messagingdirect.com> Wed, 13 October 1999 20:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:32:12 -0600
From: Alexey Melnikov <Alexey.Melnikov@messagingdirect.com>
To: Mike Gahrns <mikega@microsoft.com>
CC: Alexey Melnikov <Alexey.Melnikov@messagingdirect.com>, ietf-imapext@imc.org
Subject: Re: draft-gahrns-imap-language-01
Sender: owner-ietf-imapext@imc.org

Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> > >    4). Primary language: Accordingly to Alvestrand RFC language tag is not
> always
> > > hierarchical. This means that you can't always assume that x-y-z is
> sublanguage of x-y.
> > > This means that server should have some additional knowledge about languages
> it
> > > supports.
> > *** Can you suggest some text to address this?

Ok, let me do the first try (BTW, I am referencing
draft-alvestrand-lang-tags-v2-00.txt, not RFC 1766):

>4. LANGUAGE Command
>
>   Arguments: Zero or one language tag as defined by [RFC-1766].

Add the following text: "Language tags MUL (Multiple languages) and Und
(Undetermined) MUST NOT be used."
Same text should be added to ABNF section.

After the text

>             If a sublanguage was asked for and not available but the
>             primary language is available, the server should switch to
>             the primary language and include a LANGUAGE response
>             containing the identifier of the primary language it
>             switched to.

add the following:

It is also recommended that server recognizes languages that have multiple
different tags (like "ru" and "rus").

Note 1. Client MUST NOT use MUL (Multiple languages) and Und (Undetermined)
language tags and server MUST return BAD to the LANGUAGE command with such
parameter.

Note 2. [LANG-TAG] (draft-alvestrand-lang-tags-v2-00.txt) warns that there is no
guaranteed relationship between languages whose tags start out with the same
series of subtags. However it is believed that for the purpose of this document it
is safe to treat all languages, whose tags starts with primary language described
in ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2 (i.e. all 2 or 3 letters primary languages) as
hierarchical. For all languages with other primary tags fallback rule MUST not be
used. In particular, language tags starting with 'i-' and 'x-' SHOULD NOT be
treated as hierarchical.
Alexey Melnikov
Software Developer    phone: (780) 424 4922 x 357
MessagingDirect Ltd.  fax  : (780) 424 4925

mailto:mel@messagingdirect.com
http://www.MessagingDirect.com