Re: [Insipid] draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id: parameters and session-id

Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com> Wed, 06 November 2013 11:45 UTC

From: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>
To: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, "insipid@ietf.org" <insipid@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:44:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.16.98.77]
Subject: Re: [Insipid] draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id: parameters and session-id

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  I'm asking the questions to better understand and evaluate draft-ietf-insipid-session-id from a backward compatibility perspective with draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id.  I look forward to the next version of draft-ietf-insipid-session-id since it might provide answers to my questions (at least from insipid perspective interacting with a draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id device).

One of the call flows of interest is associated with B2BUA acting as 3PCC simulating call waiting type interaction (similar to RFC 3725 figure 13 if assume message 6 is a re-INVITE) using re-INVITE (from B2BUA) to reconnect an insipid device (X) back and forth between connections with insipid device (I) and kaplan device (K).  My current understanding is that X theoretically might change remote value and include parameter changes (new, dropped, or modified).  Thus from a B2BUA perspective, I'd need to know how draft-ietf-insipid-session-id proposes the B2BUA behave to allow backward compatibility with K.  For instance, should it send the completely new Session-ID header (i.e. new sess-id and parameters) to K or continue to send the prior Session-ID header (such as the Session-ID used when dialog created)?  Should prior knowledge of K's non support of draft-ietf-insipid-session-id cause the B2BUA to not include a draft-ietf-insipid-session-id Session-ID within the re-invite sent to X?

Thanks,
Brett