Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels-01.txt

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Fri, 21 August 2015 22:15 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Lucy yong <lucy.yong@huawei.com>, Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:14:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.247.104.6]
Cc: "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels-01.txt

Here is a good definition of "link" from RFC4861:

   link        - a communication facility or medium over which nodes can
                 communicate at the link layer, i.e., the layer
                 immediately below IP.  Examples are Ethernets (simple
                 or bridged), PPP links, X.25, Frame Relay, or ATM
                 networks as well as Internet-layer (or higher-layer)
                 "tunnels", such as tunnels over IPv4 or IPv6 itself.

The same definition also shows up in RFC2460.

RFC3819 (PILC) is entirely about links, and could also be cited.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com