Re: [Int-area] DCHP-based authentication for DSL?

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> Wed, 07 November 2007 08:26 UTC

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] DCHP-based authentication for DSL?
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 00:02:29 +0100
Cc: Internet Area <int-area@lists.ietf.org>

On 6 nov 2007, at 16:28, Yoshihiro Ohba wrote:

>> Since random duration global IP address assignment delays of up to 30
>> seconds is not acceptable, I am expect that PANA has fixed this.
>> Could
>> one of the PANA people explain how?

> I am not sure what exact PANA deployment scenario is being discussed
> here, but 30 seconds delay mentioned in the old PANA thread is between
> the time when DHCP is started and the time when an IPv4 link-local
> address is configured after DHCP timeouts.

Apparently my message from earlier today (yesterday by the time this
reaches the net) didn't make it, so once again:

A lot of this complexity can be avoided by using IPv6 link-local
addresses, because those are created independently from "real" address
assignment. This is of course only helpful if IPv6 is spoken on both
ends, so that would leave the Windows 98 case out in the cold.

I believe it would be orders of magnitude easier to add PANA
capability to a commercial OS because PANA doesn't need special access
to the network and doesn't clash with existing capabilities. You could
probably even run it from a browser as a java applet.

DHCP delays could be avoided by the DSLAM caching DHCP requests from
unauthenticated hosts and only responding to those when the
authentication has completed. However, if a short delay is unavoidable
I don't think that's a show stopper, usually people connect after
rebooting or some such, a process that takes a lot more time than
having to wait for a DHCP retransmit or two.

And last but not least: I'm still waiting to hear how the DSL Forum or
others intend to address IPv6. Apart from simply needing this
capability in the near future, the prospect of having to rehash all of
this in short order to add IPv6 isn't very atractive.