Re: [Int-area] IETF80 questions regarding "On demand IPv4 address provisioning in Dual-Stack PPP deployment" - Topic for WG?

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Thu, 23 June 2011 22:16 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=cisco.com; i=dwing@cisco.com; l=12240; q=dns/txt; s=iport; t=1308867409; x=1310077009; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id: mime-version:content-transfer-encoding; bh=EanFhoKzTEW3thKYRzSrzS3PaUL3K+Rjcotu1ATyFgs=; b=VybbHTPoaNCwzLRRdn7/s+NHsxkFoSGbwXz28giUwEcHshLrCH5z3Ija fC9KGFAPw9pDgDipTeInTK3BZA8NGv+jyisjR2U2b+pg38Wgm2xMde2pl dZUeXJzEuugdofinthPCKfyCKS0zxTsqrTaZTos27QgqNCYH8qJu62l7v I=;
> address provisioning in Dual-Stack PPP deployment" - Topic for WG?

I am not aware of any sort of NAT deployment that adds a round
trip to the CGN.

> But it should be clear that in a centralized CGN deployment an
> additional delay has to be expected. That is at least my interpretation
> of
> draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues-05
> chapter 7. Geo-location and Geo-proximity
> -> "...
>    Viewed from the content provider, a
>    subscriber behind a CGN geolocates to wherever the prefix of the CGN
>    appears to be; very often that will be in a different city than the
>    subscriber.
>    ..."
> Maybe it would be worth to add the mentioning of an additional delay
> in the shared-addressing-issues ID.

It is true that deploying a CGN in a far-away place adds propagation
delay.  But propagation delay is also added by forcing routing to a
far-away location with route preferences or tunnels.  Propagation delay
is propagation delay, and to avoid it requires distributing (rather
than centralizing) routers, CGNs, and tunnel termination devices.
Most vendors have tiny delays for the NAT processing itself
(microseconds).

However, the geolocation problem you quoted above also exists with
the mechanism scheme you are proposing.  For example, a certain IP
address, e.g., 161.44.1.1, would be "loaned" to someone in Berlin
on Monday morning, and then "loaned" to someone else in Frankfurt
on Monday afternoon.

To prevent the geolocation problem, only certain subnets would
be loaned in each city (e.g., 161.44.1.0/24 is Frankfurt, 161.44.2.0/24
is Berlin, etc.).  The same exact thing can be done with a *single* CGN
located in one city -- the CGN can assign 161.44.1.0/24 to users
from Frankfurt, 161.44.2.0/24 to users from Berlin, etc.  Which is
how location is handled today, anyway, in the absence of CGN and
the absence of address borrowing.

> > > Our focus is the fixed network PPP access due BBF TR-178
> > respectively
> > > WT-242.
> > > But you are right for 3G/4G the general mechanism would also be
> > > applicable.

> > by acquiring
> > > an address
> > > We see the delay issue not so critically.

> > > popular
> > video streaming,
> > > instant
> > > Of course that can happen, when the application remain on IPv4-
> only.
> > > But here I would expect much more problems when at least
> > one NAT444 is
> > > in the end-to-end path.
> >
> > So, after modifying the home gateway to do this, the IPv4 consumption
> > will not go down -- each home gateway that has an IPv4 session will
> > consume an IPv4 address.
>
> We expect that once IPv6 is introduced, the usage of IPv4 will starting
> to decrease
> Within 1-2 years. So also the IPv4 address consumption should decrease.

Yes, I believe we all expect it to decrease.

But if it doesn't, where does this leave the engineering IETF would have
expended on this additional transition technology.  For example, what if
Skype continues to grow but still requires an IPv4 connection.  What if
Yahoo
IM, AOL IM, Microsoft IM, or other popular services with long-lived
connections (IM) or frequent connections (IMAP, DNS) don't have clients
and servers that support IPv6.

My point is that loaning an IPv4 address is only suitable if the demand
long-lived and frequent IPv4 connections really _does_ diminish for that
specific community of users.  If it does not diminish for that specific
community of users, the effort is for naught.

> > What's the likely lifetime of such a solution, considering we have
> > already exhausted IPv4 addresses?
> We hope to have this implemented before the address exhaustion in
> Europe occur.
> So we see in a saturated market for fixed Internet Access good chances
> to be successful.

-d