Re: [Int-area] L. Eggert's comment (draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios)

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Wed, 23 July 2014 13:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:23:24 -0400
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, "Internet Area (int-area@ietf.org)" <int-area@ietf.org>
Cc: "draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios@tools.ietf.org" <draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] L. Eggert's comment (draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios)

On 7/23/14, 8:42 AM, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:
> I figure out this text: “and a better solution that would preserve
> privacy should be considered.” may not reflect exactly the point made by
> Stephen, so I’m inserting his words:
>

> “I'd be delighted if those who could get a better solution
>
> implemented/deployed were to attempt to try to address the
>
> privacy issues with XFF but it seems that at least in that
>
> case relevant folks don't care (sufficiently;-) deeply about
>
> our privacy to go do that.”

The proposal for a HIAPS bof staked out a particular position with
respect to this

  "First it has to be ensured that the server on the receiver side is
well justified
  to receive the   information. Next it will be granted that the
communication is
  not visible to on-path observers using the most state-of-art ways of
securing
  the communication."

I found that acceptable, it is however incompatible with some of the
proposed solutions.