RFC 3484 updates [Re: [Int-area] int-area agenda, take 1]

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Sun, 09 July 2006 12:22 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:21:49 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: RFC 3484 updates [Re: [Int-area] int-area agenda, take 1]

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Jari Arkko wrote:
> 3. Source address selection problem for multihomed environments, Marcelo
>   Bagnulo (10 min)
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bagnulo-rfc3484-update-00.txt
>   Goal: Does RFC 3484 need updating? Provide input on Marcelo's multihoming
>   issues.

Yes, I believe RFC3484 needs updating.  I think it requires a bigger
update than just source-address retrying that Marcelo argues for in
this draft.  Hence I think a better draft to start thinking about the
revision is draft-arifumi-v6ops-addr-select-ps-00.txt which also
includes the source address selection problem.

Two specific comments about draft-bagnulo:
  - Section 2.2 talks about ISP-Internet link failing.  These kind of
events are very rare, and the issue is same for ISP-customer link
failure.  Hence, this problem should rather be described from that
perspective.
  - Section 3.1.2 first change seems to assume that all the source
addresses (when bind() is used for example) are equivalent.  That's
not necessarily the case.  My perception is that app writers use
bind() for client-like applications when they actually want to
specify the address or interface (using SO_BINDTODEVICE or the
like) in case of connected sockets or when they want to select the
source address (so that they always use the same one) for unconnected
sockets (e.g., NTP daemon).  In either case, the proposed approach
might not produce desired results.  Hence, it would be useful to get a
bit more knowledge of how folks use bind() like APIs for client apps.
  - Section 3.1.2, proposed rule 0 should probably include some
discussion on what "is known to be not working" means and how it's
determined.  Draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault already showed that more
specification would be useful with "known to be unreachable".