Re: [Int-area] IP Parcels improves performance for end systems

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 24 March 2022 19:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:11:01 -0400
To: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
Cc: int-area <int-area@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] IP Parcels improves performance for end systems

I do remember token ring.  (I was working from 1983 for folks who
delivered 50 megabits starting in 1976, and built some of the best FDDI
around at the time.)

I am not claiming that increasing the MTU from 1500 to 9K did nothing.
I am claiming that diminishing returns has distinctly set in.
If the Data Center folks (who tend these days to have the highest
demand) really want a 64K link, they would have one.  They don't.  They
prefer to use Ethernet.
The improvement via increasing the MTU further runs into many obstacles,
including such issues as error detection code coverage), application
desired communication size, retransmission costs, and on and on.
Yes, they can all be overcome.   But the returns get smaller and smaller.

So absent real evidence that there is a problem needing the network
stack and protocol to change, I just don't see this (IP Parcels) as
providing enough benefit to justify the work.

Yours,
Joel