Re: [Int-area] Review of draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-05

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Fri, 20 August 2010 21:43 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:43:36 -0700
To: draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary@tools.ietf.org
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>, int-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Review of draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-05

Thomas et al:

Let me relay and comment on something Tony, Marla, and I discussed (Jason, I would mention you, but you and I didn't actually talk about this :-).

One of the important points of RFC 3177 is in the opening statements:

   The technical principles that apply to address allocation seek to
   balance healthy conservation practices and wisdom with a certain ease
   of access...

   The IETF makes no comment on business issues or relationships.
   However, in general, we observe that technical delegation policy can
   have strong business impacts.  A strong requirement of the address
   delegation plan is that it not be predicated on or unduly bias
   business relationships or models.

This mirrors comments made in CIDR documents and in the CIDR discussion to the effect that "gee, it would be Really Nice if we could aggregate announcements", and which came out in code words to the RIRs and ISPs saying "gee whiz, guys, would you consider being conservative in your allocations and your aggregation policy wink wink nudge nudge", recognizing their already-ongoing efforts in those directions and expressing approval of them.

These statements appear to be absent from draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary.

Tony/Marla/Jason have a draft before the house, draft-azinger-cidrv6. It's fundamental point is "gee, it would be Really Nice if we could aggregate announcements", and suggests that provider-allocated address space is a good thing. It responds to RIR behaviors in allocation of PI address space, and asks that the RIRs tighten up the rules. Tony's observation is that the IETF has made no such statement to the RIRs regarding that, and such a statement might have value.

If we're going to replace a document entitled "IAB/IESG Recommendations on IPv6 Address Allocations to Sites", it might be worthwhile actually updating the recommendations made on allocations to sites, and make a clear statement to the effect that "we make no pretense of telling RIRs or their members how to run their businesses, but we would humbly request that they consider the amount of money they spend on new routers and new memory every year, the amount of money spent on heat and heat dissipation, and seriously consider allocating address space in a way that promotes prefix aggregation in BGP routing." I could imagine, and would welcome, a response from the RIRs of the form "we would really appreciate consideration of an architecture that would address both ISP concerns about the size of the route table and edge network concerns about multihoming complexity and independence from their ISP".

Thought for the day...
Fred