Re: [Int-area] New draft to update L2TP, GRE, PPTP, GTP & VXLAN, etc. for ECN

Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net> Fri, 08 July 2016 21:42 UTC

To: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata@cisco.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 22:41:54 +0100
Cc: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, intarea IETF list <int-area@ietf.org>, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] New draft to update L2TP, GRE, PPTP, GTP & VXLAN, etc. for ECN

Carlos,

On 08/07/16 20:32, Carlos Pignataro (cpignata) wrote:
> Bob,
>
> When you say L2TP, do you mean only L2TPv2 [RFC 2661] as in the I-D, or also L2TPv3 [RFC 3931]? (I think should be both).
Thx. I've added L2TPv3 to my local copy - might post -01 later tonight.
I recall adding that to my list in the past, but it must have fallen off
again.

> One additional point of clarification — the draft says:
>
>     This specification therefore updates the
>     following specifications of tightly coupled shim headers by adding
>     that RFC 6040 SHOULD apply when the shim header is used between IP
>     headers:
>
> However, some of the listed tunneling technologies include additional encapsulations between the shim and the inner IP. Those are not part of the shim header per se. For example, IP | GRE | Ethernet | IP. Same for VXLAN. There’s PPP for L2TP, etc. The draft scope says:
>
>     In many cases the shim header(s) and the outer IP header are always
>     added (or removed) as part of the same process.  We call this a
>     tightly coupled shim header.
>
> It might be beneficial to tighten the scope to more definitively spec if it is IP | shim | something | IP, for “something” being non-null.
Any suggestions for how I can make the scope clearer - I thought I had
made it clear: it's only if the shim and outer IP are added to an inner
IP. Because, in the example you give an Ethernet header doesn't have an
ECN field.

That case falls under the last catch-all paragraph that refers to
draft-ietf-ecn-encap-guidelines, which attempts to cover every
possibility in a more general way. In section 4.2 & section 6 you'll
find that if ECN is in an IP header within an Ethernet header either you
give up, or if you're a switch-router you violate layering and look
inside the Ethernet header to find ECN in the IP header. Then, you refer
to RFC6040 to propagate to/from the outer IP, jumping over the shim.

Bob