Re: [Int-area] FW: New Version Notification for draft-lishi-ipngwg-dbnetlayer-00.txt

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Sat, 22 March 2014 01:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 18:10:41 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: 李实 <lishi@sttri.com.cn>, int-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Int-area] FW: New Version Notification for draft-lishi-ipngwg-dbnetlayer-00.txt

Hi, Lishi,

First, you should consider some of the previous "4+4" or "8+8" proposals
that use two layers of IP in ways similar to your approach, and you
should address how yours is distinct. The same is true for I3
(Cheriton's DNS-based forwarding), for similar reasons.

There are many issues that are not yet addressed in this proposal:

	- impact on DNS: how does this proposal affect the following:

		- current DNS delegations do not correspond to either
		routing areas or physical locations

		- current DNS entries are intended to provide full
		flexibility with IP addresses

Equally importantly, there is a coupling between IP and various
transports, esp. TCP, where a subset of the IP header is considered part
of the TCP header (the pseudoheader). This doc needs to address how that
relationship is affected.

Others will probably have additional feedback.

Joe