Re: [Int-area] Revving draft-intarea-shared-addressing-issues

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Thu, 10 June 2010 22:30 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Matthew Ford' <ford@isoc.org>, int-area@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:30:45 -0700
Cc: 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, draft-ford-shared-addressing-issues@tools.ietf.org, 'Lorenzo Colitti' <lorenzo@google.com>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Revving draft-intarea-shared-addressing-issues

That would be good.  Should be NAT44 (not "444"), though.  The
problem of IP address sharing is orthogonal to the subscriber
operating their own NAT in their house (which is one of the
4's of NAT444).

As another addition, do you perhaps want to point out that
all IP address sharing mechanisms (proposed to date) are
limited to TCP, UDP, and ICMP, thereby preventing end users
from fully utilizing "The Internet" (e.g., SCTP, DCCP,
RSVP, protocol 41 (IPv6-over-IPv4), protocol 50 (IPsec ESP)).

-d