Re: [Int-area] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-rahman-rtg-router-alert-considerations-03.txt

Francois Le Faucheur <flefauch@cisco.com> Fri, 06 November 2009 09:24 UTC

From: Francois Le Faucheur <flefauch@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 10:24:55 +0100
To: Jukka MJ Manner <jukka.manner@tkk.fi>
Cc: int-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-rahman-rtg-router-alert-considerations-03.txt

Hello Jukka,

On 6 Nov 2009, at 09:34, Jukka MJ Manner wrote:

> My WG having been a victim of a long debate on router alert, I
> believe there is value in documenting if or when RAO should or
> should not be used.

Good.

> Yet, there are already several RFCs that discuss/present RAO (2113,
> 2711, 5350). I have thought about the RAO lately and how to go
> forward, and it might make sense to merge these existing specs
> together, add recent views on RAO, and obsolete the previous RFCs.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about obsoleting (or not) RFC
2113 & RFC 2711. Our conclusions from that discussion was that the
most effective approach was to :
break down the RAO discussions into two different "tracks":
	* one track that assumes current RAO definition (RFC2113 & 2711) and
router implementation. The aim there is to define a BCP discussing if/
where/how RAO should/should not be used in the current IP world. This
can be done in a short time frame. This is the scope of draft-rahman-
rtg-router-alert-considerations
	* one track that investigates potential changes to RAO definition.
This is the scope of draft-narayanan-rtg-router-alert-extensions. This
is much more exploratory and with longer term implications since it
would depend on deployment of routers supporting the "new" RAO. This
would be a Standards Track document.

Could we agree to:
	*  "add recent views on RAO"  (including pointers to relevant parts
of RFC5350 such as discussion on Experimental RAO values, and as
already done including pointers to relevant text of RFC2113/2711) into
draft-rahman-rtg-router-alert-considerations, and
	* "merge RFC 2113/2711 and obsolete/update/work-along these previous
RFCs" in draft-narayanan-rtg-router-alert-extensions if/when the work
on changing RAO definition progresses
?

I believe it is really important to provide a BCP asap on use of RAO
in the current situation and the above proposal would help us get
there in a reasonable timeframe.

Thanks

Francois