Re: [Int-dir] INT Directorate - Seeking Directorate reviews

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 30 June 2015 07:03 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>, Ralf Weber <ralf.weber@nominum.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:03:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: "draft-vinapamula-softwire-dslite-prefix-binding@tools.ietf.org" <draft-vinapamula-softwire-dslite-prefix-binding@tools.ietf.org>, "Christopher LILJENSTOLPE (cdl@asgaard.org)" <cdl@asgaard.org>, "int-dir@ietf.org" <int-dir@ietf.org>, "int-ads@ietf.org" <int-ads@ietf.org>, "jeanmichel.combes@gmail.com" <jeanmichel.combes@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Int-dir] INT Directorate - Seeking Directorate reviews

Dear Bernie, Ralf, all,

Thank you for the review.

A misbehaving CPE can indeed vary the source IPv6 address it uses to send its IPv4-in-IPv6 packets to the DS-Lite AFTR. If the AFTR maintains state for each new softwire (from the same B4), then varying the source IPv6 address can be a source of DoS attack that may exhaust the AFTR resources.

A first mitigation to this attack vector is to limit the number of softwire per B4 (already recorded in the draft). This countermeasure should be complemented with rate limiting softwires with new source IPv6 from the same CPE.

A new version that includes changes to address your comment is available online:

Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vinapamula-softwire-dslite-prefix-binding-06
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-vinapamula-softwire-dslite-prefix-binding-06

Cheers,
Med