Re: [Iot-directorate] icons for IoT onboarding

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 11 November 2020 22:25 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Bruce Nordman <bnordman@lbl.gov>
cc: iot-directorate@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:25:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [Iot-directorate] icons for IoT onboarding

Bruce Nordman <bnordman@lbl.gov> wrote:
    > I spent most of three years studying how we turn electronic devices on
    > and off - and more importantly working to make it easier for them to end up
    > asleep.  This to save energy.  I wrote a 200 page research report on this
    > and the results ended up as IEEE 1621 (which is only about 8 pages
    > thankfully).
    > For the last dozen years I have been working to create a standard for
    > lighting control user interfaces and have a proposed standard - see:
    > http://nordman.lbl.gov/lightui
    > UI standards need to be international - think of keyboards, phone
    > keypads, motor vehicle controls.  People and devices move (well, post-COVID
    > they will).
    > UI standards for IoT would be very helpful.  The IETF would be a fine
    > place to host it.  Please let me know if I can help.

Many people at the IETF think that UI work can not be done here.
  "We don't have the expertise", "It's not essential for interoperability"
and much of this is true, but often it's also self-fullfilling.
There are a number of protocols that I've worked on which could have benefit
(and could still benefit) from standardized diagnostic modes, with yes,
common UI elements to clearly let admins know if they are on/off/engaged/available.
But, I'm not going to argue the point, but just to make it clear what kind of
situation you might find.

There is a WG, "ASDF", of which I'm co-chair, which you might find
interesting, as it deals with the semantic content of IoT communication.
For instance, dimmable lights, as your page talks about, could be:
  a byte intensity could be 0-255 or 0-254 with 255 meaning last setting
    (I think that was the example)

It seems that there is a place in ASDF to connect to what the controls
actually say to the "operator"

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )