[ipcdn] RE: MIB Docotor review of: draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-04.txt

"Dave Thaler" <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com> Sat, 24 August 2002 02:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:33:21 -0700
From: Dave Thaler <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com>
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, howard_abramson@adc.com, ipcdn@ietf.org
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>, "Bill Fenner (E-mail)" <fenner@research.att.com>
Subject: [ipcdn] RE: MIB Docotor review of: draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-mib-04.txt
Sender: ipcdn-admin@ietf.org

> From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) [mailto:bwijnen@lucent.com]
[...]
> First, I am copy-ing Bill and Dave because
>
> - The document is basically about IGMP applicability for DOCSIS
> - Bill is main author/editor for IGMPv2 (RFC2236)
> - Dave is co-author of IGMP MIB (RFC2933)
>
> It seems that Bill and Dave (or one of the other IGMP MIB authors)
> should take a look at this too.
> Or maybe the IDMR WG should look at it.

Section 3 really duplicates part of the "IGMP Proxy" spec
(expired?) by Bill.

The model appears to be that a CM is a typical IGMP Proxy.
On such a device, the objects covered by igmpV2HostMIBCompliance
Should apply on the HFC-side and the objects covered by
igmpV2RouterMIBCompliance should apply on the CMCI-side if
in active mode. In passive mode CMCI-side, a subset will apply
which is not covered by any existing compliance statement in
the IGMP MIB.

4.1.1.2   igmpInterfaceQueryInterval
>   HFC-side:  n/a, read-only. The CM MUST not transmit queries
>               upstream. Return a value of zero.
Since the HFC-side is in host-mode not router mode, there should
be no instance of this object on the HFC-side.  It should not
return 0.  Same for igmpInterfaceQueryMaxResponseTime,
igmpInterfaceQuerierExpiryTime, igmpInterfaceJoins, etc.

4.1.1.5   igmpInterfaceQuerier
>   HFC-side:  read-only. MUST be the address of an upstream device for
>               both active and passive CMs.
This equates to saying the optional igmpHostOptMIBGroup group
is actually mandatory in this spec.

4.1.1.8   igmpInterfaceQuerierExpiryTime
>   Both Sides: n/a, read-only. The CM is never the querier, return 0.
This is definitely wrong.  The DESCRIPTION of this object says:
            "The amount of time remaining before the Other Querier
            Present Timer expires.  If the local system is the querier,
            the value of this object is zero."
The value should only be present and 0 when one is the querier.
If you can never be the querier, then you're not in router-mode, and
hence
no object instance should be present.

4.1.1.10  igmpInterfaceWrongVersionQueries
>   All Modes / Both sides - read-only. The number of non-v2 queries
>   received on this interface.
As with igmpInterfaceQueryInterval, I see no reason for this object to
be present on the HFC-side.

--- stopped here for the moment, but you can probably extrapolate what
my responses to a bunch of other objects will be when I get a few more
minutes.

-Dave