RE: [ipcdn] Last Call: 'Cable Device Management Information Base forData-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification CompliantCableModem s and Cable Modem Termination Systems' to ProposedStandard

"Jean-Francois Mule" <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Wed, 21 December 2005 20:50 UTC

Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Last Call: 'Cable Device Management Information Base forData-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification CompliantCableModem s and Cable Modem Termination Systems' to ProposedStandard
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:49:41 -0700
From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: "Richard Woundy @ Comcast" <Richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com>, Brian Hedstrom <B.Hedstrom@cablelabs.com>
Cc: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, "Ipcdn (E-mail)" <ipcdn@ietf.org>
Sender: ipcdn-bounces@ietf.org

Rich, Brian and all,

   Given where we are in the process and given the existing restrictions
in RFC2669, my first reaction would be to do a real check with operators
and implementers by asking:
	a) CM operators about their actual use of the syslog server DHCP
option in field deployments (multi-value or single?).
	b) CM vendors about how their implementations deal with
multi-values in the mentioned DHCP options.

   Given that syslog is UDP-based, what would it mean to have multiple
server values? It can't reliably be used for fail-over scenarios so
should mean broadcast syslog. I personally think that this would best be
done by using a management station that could act like a trap exploder
and broadcast or multicast the syslog msg to multiple servers.

Comments and feedback from the list is appreciated.
Jean-Francois

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2132.txt?number=2132>,