Re: [ipcdn] MIB Doctor review of: draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-06.txt

Michael StJohns <mstjohns@mindspring.com> Wed, 20 November 2002 19:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:14:32 -0500
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, wsawyer@ieee.org, ipcdn@ietf.org
From: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [ipcdn] MIB Doctor review of: draft-ietf-ipcdn-subscriber-mib-06.txt
Cc: "Thomas Narten (E-mail)" <narten@us.ibm.com>, "Erik Nordmark (E-mail)" <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>, "Bert Wijnen (E-mail)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Sender: ipcdn-admin@ietf.org

At 05:27 PM 10/1/2002 +0200, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
>Took a bit longer than I had hoped. Oh well, here we go
>
>More or less serious issues/concerns:
>- 2nd para in Section 2 starts off with:
>     "Much of this MIB duplicates capabilities found in
>      the DOCSIS Cable Device MIB [17]."
>   So I immediately wonder why we need to duplicate any of
>   that other stuff, even without looking at the details.
>   Pls explain/justify.
>   The other praragraphs in this section try to explain some
>   of it I think. But what is not clear is: will this MIB
>   then obsolete the one in reference [17].
>   If it only partially obsoletes/replaces it, then maybe
>   that should be made clear and the [17] may need a
>   revision to deprecate the objects being replaced.

These objects were added to permit policy control to occur two places - in
the CMTS and in the cable modem.  The original model (that described in the
cable device mib) assumed that CMs were owned and controlled by the cable
operator and that it would be pretty hard to hack them.  The new model
makes the assumption that some cable modems might be the equivalent of
WINMODEMS - e.g. a little bit of hardware to do modulation, with software
to do all the rest of the functions - like filtering.  Since a filtering
capability is critical for operator control of the service, this MIB was
created to describe the functionality required in the CMTS where it
wouldn't be subject to customer hacking of a software modem.  This is a
seperate MIB from the other MIB, it mostly applies to a different device
(the CMTS) - the other MIB will not necessarily be deprecated and you
shouldn't consider whether it will or not in your comments.

> [...]
>       docsIfCmtsCmStatusTable from [18]."
>   I do see this is true for docsSubMgtCpeControlTable but
>   for docsSubMgtCmFilterTable you are not using the AUGMENTS
>   clause. So maybe it is only a sparse augmentation? If so,
>   the better say so. If it is a real AUGMENT then use the
>   AUGMENTS clause.
>- Mmm... sect 2.2 starts to talk about the use of TFTTTP...
>   what does that have to do with the MIB? Maybe explain that
>   a bit (better). FOr example, why such is needed. And maybe
>   you can add a reference where people can find info about it.
>   The good news is that you do mention possible security aspects
>   (with references) in the Security Considerations section. Hope
>   it is acceptable to Security ADs.
>- Sect 2.3
>   I really wonder if this is smart. Why not give a much larger range
>   to the index objects and then specify via the MODULE COMPLIANCE
>   that they only need to support up to 1024. That way you do not
>   have to change the MIB in the future if you ever need more
>   than 1024. You then add another compliance statement (which
>   can actually be done in a different module/document)
>- The MIB MODULE-IDENTITY also talks about experimental.
>   You want to removethat if you go for STDs track
>- In the MIB you must use 4-digit year notation, so
>   change
>            LAST-UPDATED    "0202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
>   into
>            LAST-UPDATED    "200202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
>   and also
>            REVISION "0202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
>   into
>            REVISION "200202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
>- Normally, for a new RFC, we only have one REVISION clause. Whatever
>   changes were made during the WG process are not recorded in revision
>   clauses, so you can remove the 2nd revision clause.
>   In fact the one and only revision clause should say something like:
>
>            REVISION "200202280000Z" -- February 28, 2002
>            DESCRIPTION "Initial version, published as RFC xxxx."
>            -- RFC Editor to assign xxxx
>- I am not comfortable with you putting this MIB under { docsDev 5 }
>   How does DCOSIS keep track as to hwo makes assignments under
>   the docsDev OID subtree?
>   Why can this not be another assignment under mib-2 ??
>   Certainly it should not have been docsDev 5 while you were making
>   all sorts of changes during the WG process or while it was so
>   called "experimental" ...
>- I see:
>     docsSubMgtCpeControlReset OBJECT-TYPE
>        SYNTAX  TruthValue
>        MAX-ACCESS read-write
>        STATUS  current
>        DESCRIPTION
>            "This object always returns false on read.  If this object is
>        set to true, the rows with  'learned' addresses in
>        docsSubMgtCpeIpTable for this CM are deleted from that table."
>   Mmm.. so if I SET the object to true and do a GET afterwards then it is
>   back in false? I need to check if SNMP/MIB people are really happy with

Bert -  This is the appropriate IDIOM for a "push to reset" toggle since
the first mib was written and has been used in a number of books as an
example of using a mib to control things.  What would you expect it to
return?  "true if it was ever manually reset"?

>- I am kind of wondering about the AUGEMENTS for
>           AUGMENTS { docsIfCmtsCmStatusEntry }
>   Are all the WG members and potential implementers aware that you are
>   adding read-write objects to an otherwise read-only table?
>   I guess it would be good to spell out in the DESCRIPTION clause
>   of this table:
>   - that it AUGEMENTS (instead of extends) the docsIfCmtsCmStatusTable

Bert - directly from the SMIv2 - this needs no further description here
about the meaning of AUGMENTS - this applies to the item above as well:

7.8.1.  Relation between INDEX and AUGMENTS clauses

    When defining instance identification information for a conceptual
    table:

(1)  If there is a one-to-one correspondence between the conceptual rows
      of this table and an existing table, then the AUGMENTS clause
      should be used.

(2)  Otherwise, if there is a sparse relationship between the conceptual
      rows of this table and an existing table, then an INDEX clause
      should be used which is identical to that in the existing table.
      For example, the relationship between RFC 2233's ifTable and a
      media-specific MIB which extends the ifTable for a specific media
      (e.g., the dot3Table in RFC 2358), is a sparse relationship.

(3)  Otherwise, if no existing objects have the required syntax and
      semantics, then auxiliary objects should be defined within the
      conceptual row for the new table, and those objects should be used
      within the INDEX clause for the conceptual row.