Re: [ipcdn] RE: TX-RX gain in Sig MIB Draft

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Thu, 23 June 2005 04:56 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: ipcdn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ipcdn] RE: TX-RX gain in Sig MIB Draft
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:00:03 -0700
Sender: ipcdn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi -

The DESCRIPTION that is there clearly says that the RECOMMENDED
default value is -11.  If you mean something else, then the DESCRIPTION
needs work.

> Also, thanks for the pointer on 'smilint@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de'. I got the
> following
> Warning messages for this MIB:
>
> W1. mailbody:1173: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead
> of INTEGER in SMIv2
> W2. mailbody:1136: [5] {index-element-not-column} warning: index element
> `pktcSigDevToneType' of row `pktcSigDevToneEntry' must be a column
> W3/ mailbody:1136: [5] {index-element-not-column} warning: index element
> `pktcSigDevToneType' of row `pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry' must be a
> column
>
> W1 is due to the fact the we use enumerations at various places and W2

But the definition of, for example, pktcSigDevToneNumFrequencies, the
RECOMMENDED type would be Unsigned32.  See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-04.txt
section 4.6.1.1

> and W3 are due to the fact that
> 'pktcSigDevToneType' is defined outside of the two tables, but binds
> them together.

This definition is odd, and I agree that it merits at least a warning.
 A not-accessible scalar being used as an index is quite strange.
It should be a columnar object in one of the tables.  Note the requirements
in the guidelines section 4.6.4 .

BTW, for all the RowStatus objects in the mib, note that the guidelines say:

|     - The DESCRIPTION clause of the status column MUST specify which
|       columnar objects (if any) have to be set to valid values before
|       the row can be activated.  If any objects in cascading tables
|       have to be populated with related data before the row can be
|       activated, then this MUST also be specified.
|
|     - The DESCRIPTION clause of the status column MUST specify whether
|       or not it is possible to modify other columns in the same
|       conceptual row when the status value is active(1).  Note that in
|       many cases it will be possible to modify some writeable columns
|       when the row is active but not others.  In such cases the
|       DESCRIPTION clause for each writeable column SHOULD state whether
|       or not that column can be modified when the row is active, and
|       the DESCRIPTION clause for the status column SHOULD state that
|       modifiability of other columns when the status value is active(1)
|       is specified in the DESCRIPTION clauses for those columns (rather
|       than listing the modifiable columns individually).

Randy