RE: [ipcdn] The prefix for the DOCSIS-IEFT-QOS-MIB

"Fred Oko" <foko@c-cor.net> Wed, 26 January 2005 01:05 UTC

Subject: RE: [ipcdn] The prefix for the DOCSIS-IEFT-QOS-MIB
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:54:02 -0500
From: Fred Oko <foko@c-cor.net>
To: Murwin William-LWM008 <W.Murwin@motorola.com>, "IPCDN (E-mail) (E-mail)" <ipcdn@ietf.org>
Cc: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>, Patrick Michael-LZZ007 <Michael.Patrick@motorola.com>, Richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com
Sender: ipcdn-bounces@ietf.org

Arguably, the QOS-MIB needs this distinguisher the most across the
current IPCDN drafts as a given short name may actually map to a
different OID. So even if both versions could be installed, the matching
algorithm for finding the OID to use may vary (though clearly
fully-qualified (or at least MODULE::leaf style) requests are best
practice to lock down the desired namespace at the client so this is
only corner case). Would we consider whether this should be done for the
other pre-RFC draft MIBs awaiting re-root on a case by case basis or
select this as policy moving forward (or assume this is the only one as
this is the only one for which the MODULE-IDENTITY has changed due to
object renumbers)? I do not know of any precedence of such a rename in
working-implementation draft MIBs (anyone else?) and definitely am not
aware of 'Ietf' being placed into the object names by any other WG
though it seems as good a choice as any except for the growing prefix
length (granted, of no real operational concern). If nothing else, the
suggested change improves consistency between the object prefix and the
already agreed upon MODULE-IDENTITY.