RE: [ipcdn] Re: Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Country Cod e (Issue 5)

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Wed, 21 January 2004 03:57 UTC

From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: 'David De Reu' <DeReu@tComLabs.com>
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Re: Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Country Cod e (Issue 5)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:50:02 -0500
Sender: ipcdn-admin@ietf.org

David,

This might be a good approach -- I'll let others comment on the overall
proposal.

In the updated Printer MIB
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-15.txt>,
they were also concerned about country localization. Their corresponding MIB
object is:

prtLocalizationCountry OBJECT-TYPE
    -- Note: The size is fixed, was incorrectly 0..2 in RFC 1759.
    SYNTAX     OCTET STRING (SIZE(2))
    MAX-ACCESS read-only
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A two character country code from ISO 3166, a blank string
        (two space characters) shall indicate that the country is not
        defined.  Examples: US, GB, FR, DE, ..."
    ::= { prtLocalizationEntry 3 }

(Note that this MIB has already passed MIB doctor and IESG review; it is on
the RFC editor queue.)

The lesson is that we ought to define a fixed two octet syntax in the
proposed object, and we need to define a "default value", e.g. two space
characters.

We also need to define what happens if the MIB object is set to a country
code value that the MTA does not understand (i.e. because the MTA does not
support the parameters for that country, because the country does not have a
defined set of parameters, or because the "country" does not exist).

-- Rich