[ipcdn] Fwd: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: Addition of Device Class to Agent Options to Proposed Standard

Rich Woundy <rwoundy@cisco.com> Wed, 16 January 2002 14:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:59:34 -0500
To: docsis-macup@cablelabs.com, docsis-oss@cablelabs.com, ipcdn@ietf.org
From: Rich Woundy <rwoundy@cisco.com>
Subject: [ipcdn] Fwd: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: Addition of Device Class to Agent Options to Proposed Standard
Sender: ipcdn-admin@ietf.org

Folks,

The information in this email pertains to the following requirement in the
DOCSIS 1.1 RFI, section 6.3.24:
"The CMTS MUST retain the device class information for use in the DHCP
Process. The CMTS MUST create a DHCP Agent Option 82 tuple with the device
class information and MUST insert this tuple in the DHCPDISCOVER from the
corresponding CM before forwarding that DHCPDISCOVER to the DHCP server."

The DHCP DCI suboption draft
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-04.txt>
is on the RFC editor's queue <http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html>. The
RFC editor's queue is the final step before RFC publication; by publication
time, the draft's suboption code (currently "TBD" in sections 2 and 4 of
the draft) must be replaced with an official number from IANA.

I received some email from IANA in October that suggests that they might
choose suboption code 4 for this draft. Some folks from various companies
(Cisco and others) are accepting some risk and implementing this draft with
TBD = 4. Note that IANA could choose some other value, so implementing with
this value entails some risk.

The DHC working group chair (Ralph Droms) has sent email this week to IANA,
requesting them to make a permanent assignment of this option code prior to
RFC publication, so everyone can act on official (and common) information.
When I get more information, I will forward it to these mailing lists:
docsis-oss, docsis-macup, and ipcdn.

-- Rich