[ipfix-data] Data Doc

calato@riverstonenet.com Tue, 12 February 2002 18:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:21:56 -0500
From: calato@riverstonenet.com
To: "Norseth, KC" <knorseth@enterasys.com>, data <ipfix-data@net.doit.wisc.edu>
Subject: [ipfix-data] Data Doc
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

KC, here are a bunch of edits. If you want,
send me the source and I'll take editor
responsibilties for it.

Paul

calato@riverstonenet.com wrote:

> [...]
> 5.7.1. Source Port IE   11
> 5.7.2. Destination Port IE      11
> 5.8. Autonomous System (AS)     11
> 5.8.1. Source AS IE     11
> 5.8.2. Destination AS IE        11
> 5.8.3. Next Hop AS IE   11
> 5.9. IfIndexes and Interfaces   11
> 5.9.1. Ingress Port IE  11
> 5.9.2. Egress Port IE   11
> 5.9.3. Egress ATM Subinterface  12
> 5.9.4. EGRESS_FRAME_RELAY_SUBINTERFACE IE       12
> 5.10. NetMasks  12
> 5.10.1. Source Address Netmask IE       12
> 5.10.2. Destination Address Netmask IE  12
> 5.11. BGP & Vlan IE's   12
> 5.11.1. Destination BGP Community IE    12
> 5.11.2. Source BGP Community IE 12
> 5.11.3. BGP_NEXT_HOP    12
> 5.11.4. Source VLAN ID IE       12
> 5.11.5. Destination VLAN ID IE  13
> 5.11.6. Source Virtual Address IE       13
> 5.11.7. Source Virtual Port IE  13
> 5.11.8. Destination Virtual Address IE  14
> 5.11.9. Destination Virtual Port IE     14
> 5.12. NAT       14
> 5.12.1. INSIDE_L4_SRC   14
> 5.12.2. INSIDE_IPV4_SRC_ADDR    14
> 5.12.3. INSIDE_L4_DST_PORT      14
> 5.12.4. INSIDE_IPV4_DST_ADDR    14
> 5.12.5. INSIDE_IPV6_SRC_ADDR    14
> 5.12.6. INSIDE_IPV6_DST_ADDR    14
> 5.12.7. OUTSIDE_L4_SRC_PORT     14
> 5.12.8. OUTSIDE_IPV4_SRC_ADDR   15
> 5.12.9. OUTSIDE_L4_DST_PORT     15
> 5.12.10. OUTSIDE_IPV4_DST_ADDR  15
> 5.12.11. OUTSIDE_IPV6_SRC_ADDR  15
> 5.12.12. OUTSIDE_IPV6_DST_ADDR  15
> 5.13. Vendor Specific IE        15
> 5.14. Misc. Information Elements        15
> 5.14.1. Flow Label IE   15
> 5.14.2. Flow Direction  15
> 5.14.3. Fragment ID IE  16
> 5.14.4. Internal queue priority 16
> 5.14.5. Global VPN Identifier IE        16
> 5.14.6. IPM_DPKTS       16
> 5.14.7. IPM_DOCTETS     16
> 5.14.8. LAST_SWITCHED   16
> 5.14.9. FIRST_SWITCHED  16
> 5.14.10. MAC_ADDR       16
> 5.14.11. VLAN_ID        16
> 5.14.12. ICMP_TYPE      16
> 5.14.13. IGMP_TYPE      16
> 5.15. Sampling  17
> 5.15.1. SAMPLING_INTERVAL       17
> 5.15.2. SAMPLING_ALGO   17
> 5.15.3. FLOW_ACTIVE_TIMEOUT     17
> 5.15.4. FLOW_INACTIVE_TIMEOUT   17
> 6. References   17
> 7. Acknowledgements     19
> 8. Author's Addresses   20
> 9. Full Copyright Statement     21
> 10. Stuff to Add        21
> 11. End of stuff to add 21
>
> 1. Introduction
>
> Many applications e.g., Intrusion detection, traffic engineering,
> require the monitoring, measuring of IP traffic flows. It is hence
> important to have a standard way of exporting information related to IP
> flows. This document defines architecture for IP traffic flow
> monitoring, measuring and exporting. It provides a high-level
> description of the key components and their functions.
>
> 2. Scope
>
> This document defines information data model for IPFIX[3]. Specifically,

Delete Start
============

> I think we need to begin with a couple of guidlines (which
> we should augment as we go). They are just guidelines.
>
> 1. Data element values should be defined in terms of other
> specifications. Since we are only reporting things in other protocols,
> there should be little reason for us to define anything from scatch.
>
> 2. Each element should be able to be interpreted on it own. In other
> words, don't make me look though the rest of the message to figure out
> what this value means. The drawback is this can lead to data element
> explosion. We'll have to balance the tradeoffs.
>
> 3. Others?

Delete End
===========

	Those were just my comments. I don't think they belong
	in the document.

> The IPFIX information model is listed in the IPFIX requirement
> document.  The information model consists of the minimum set of
> attributes that an IPFIX exporting device should be able to export. In
> conjunction with IP flow definitions, they provide locally accurate
> information about a flow.

	I do not think it is the minimum set. It is the full
	set to this point in time. We need to define the full
	set in order to get interoperabiltity. Vendors defining
	their own fields should be the exception rather than the
	rule.

> To meet application's requirement may require the collection device to
> obtain additional information about the flow, e.g. address translation,
> user identification, etc. Additional flow information may also be
> required; in this case, equipment vendors may define extensions to the
> IPFIX information model.  Any extension to the IPFIX information model
> should be conveyed between end points.
>
> This section presents a rigorous definition and sufficient statistics
> for these attributes.
>
> 4.1.  Attributes related to IP Packet Header
>
> The following attributes are obtained directly from IP packet header
> belonging to a flow:
> o IP Version Number
> o Source Address
> o Destination Address
> o Protocol Type
> o TOS (for version 4)
> o Flow Label (for version 6)
> o DSCP (if DiffServ is supported)
>
> 4.2.  Attributes Related to Measurement
>
> The following attributes relates to measurements and measuring
> methodology:
> o Packet Counter
> o Dropped Packet Counter
> o Payload Byte Counter

	What is this??

> o Timestamp of the First Packet Observed
> o Timestamp of the Last Packet Observed
> o Timeout Indication
> o Sampling Method
> o Sampling Parameters
>
> 4.3.  Attributes Related to Flow Definition
>
> The following attributes relates to IP flow definitions.
>
> o Incoming Interface
> o Outgoing Interface
> o Packet Treatment
> o Unique ID of the Observation Point
> o Unique ID of the Measuring Device
>
> 4.4.  Attributes related to Upper Layers
>
> The following attributes provides information of upper layer protocols.
> o Source Port Address
> o MPLS Label (if MPLS is supported)

	Just a nit but MPLS is actaually a lower layer.

	Where are derived things like AS number?

> 4.5. IPFIX Template
>
> The IPFIX system MUST support efficient exporting of IP flow
> information.  This can be achieved by negotiating a set of IPFIX
> Templates for an IPFIX session before actual IP flow information is
> exported. A template defines the structure of an IPFIX user message
> payload by describing the data type, meaning, and location of the fields
> in the payload. By agreeing on IPFIX templates, IPFIX end-points
> understand how to process IPFIX user messages. As a result, an exporting
> device only needs to export actual flow information without attaching
> any descriptors of the attributes; this reduces the amount of bytes sent
> over communication links.
>
> A template is an ordered list of keys. A key specifies an attribute that
> a meter entity MAY export. The specification MUST consist of the
> description and the data type of the attribute. (e.g. 'Number of Sent
> Bytes'  can be a key that is an 32 bit unsigned integer) An exporting
> device typically defines keys. Based on the IPFIX information model, a
> set of IPFIX standard keys can be defined.
>
> 4.5.1.  Template Negotiation
>
> During the initial setup of an IPFIX session, template negotiation
> procedures should be carried out.  It would allow all the IPFIX
> end-points to synchronize on a set of templates that will be used during
> IP flow information export.

	I assume a lot more discussion needs to happen here.

> 5. Information Elements
> 5.1. Packet Management
>
> This information contains the fields needed to manage the data packets
> transmitted
>
> 5.1.1. Version Number
>
> [Need to expand more]

	If this is IPFIX protocol version, it does not
	belong here.

> 5.1.2. FLOWS
>                         V#3      S#4
> Number of main cache flows

	What is this???

> 5.1.3.    FLOW_LABEL
>                    V#31      S#2
> IPV6 Flow Label
> [Need to expand more]

	Delete, already covered below in more detail.

> [...]
>
> 5.11.1.  Destination BGP Community IE
>
> The BGP community number for the destination address. BGP community
> number is defined by RFC 1997:
>
> 5.11.2.  Source BGP Community IE
>
> The BGP community number for the source address.
>
> 5.11.3.    BGP_NEXT_HOP
>                  V#18      S#4
> Next-hop router in the BGP
>                                               domain
>
> 5.11.4.  Source VLAN ID IE
>
> The Source VLAN ID associated with the flow. VLAN ID is defined by IEEE
> standard 802.1q - 1998[802.1q].
>
> [ Is this ultimate source VLAN or the source vlan of the port where the
> packet came in? Or do we need a way to represent both? PAC]
>
> 5.11.5.  Destination VLAN ID IE
>
> The destination VLAN ID associated with the flow. VLAN ID is defined by
> IEEE standard 802.1q - 1998[802.1q].
>
> [ Is this ultimate destination VLAN or the destination vlan of the port
> where the packet went out? Or do we need a way to represent both? PAC]
>
> 1.1. Virtual Information
>
> 5.11.6.  Source Virtual Address IE
>
> An Exporter may be involved in redirecting flows. This IE captures
> information needed for proper accounting of redirected flows. The Source
> Virtual IE contains the source address of the flow as transmitted by the
> Exporter. It is generally different than the source address IE, which
> contains the address of the actual source of the message.
>
> A type field would contain the type of translation performed on the
> source address. The following types are currently available:
> 1. - NAT
> 2. - LSNAT
> 3. - Web Cache
>
> The address is defined the same as for Source Address.
>
> 5.11.7.  Source Virtual Port IE
>
> A CCE may be involved in redirecting flows. This IE captures information
> needed for proper accounting of redirected flows. The Source Virtual
> port IE contains the source port of the flow as transmitted by the CCE.
> It may be different than the source port IE, which contains the port of
> the actual source of the flow.  An IP Protocol field is present and is
> defined by the IP protocol spec [RFC 791] (e.g. TCP/UDP). The fields
> indicates how to interpret the port value field.
>
> A type field contains the type of translation performed on the source
> port. The following types are currently available:
>
> 1. - NAT
> 2. - LSNAT
> 3. - Web Cache
>
> 5.11.8.  Destination Virtual Address IE
>
> The Destination Virtual IE contains the destination address of the flow
> as received by the Exporter. It is generally different than the
> destination port number, which contains the actual destination address
> of the flow.
>
> 5.11.9.  Destination Virtual Port IE
>
> The Destination Virtual port IE contains the destination port of the
> flow as received by the Exporter. It may be different than the
> destination port recorded in the destination port, which contains the

Start delete
============

> 5.12. NAT
> 5.12.1.    INSIDE_L4_SRC
>                 V#42      S#2
>
> NAT port number (.e.g, FTP, Telnet, etc...) only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.2.    INSIDE_IPV4_SRC_ADDR
>          V#43      S#4
> Source IPv4 Address only applicable with NAT TCP/UDP destination port
>
> 5.12.3.    INSIDE_L4_DST_PORT
>            V#44      S#2
> The number (.e.g, FTP, telnet etc...) only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.4.    INSIDE_IPV4_DST_ADDR
>          V#45      S#4
> Destination IPv4 Address only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.5.    INSIDE_IPV6_SRC_ADDR
>          V#46      S#16
> IPv6 Source Address only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.6.    INSIDE_IPV6_DST_ADDR
>          V#47      #16
> IPv6 Destination Address only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.7.    OUTSIDE_L4_SRC_PORT
>           V#48       S#2
> TCP/UDP destination port number (.e.g, FTP, Telnet, etc...) only
> applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.8.    OUTSIDE_IPV4_SRC_ADDR
>         V#49       S#4
> Source IPv4 Address only applicable with NAT TCP/UDP destination port
>
> 5.12.9.    OUTSIDE_L4_DST_PORT
>           V#50       S#2
> number (.e.g, FTP, Telnet, etc...) only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.10.    OUTSIDE_IPV4_DST_ADDR
>         V#51       S#4
> Destination IPv4 Address only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.11.    OUTSIDE_IPV6_SRC_ADDR
>         V#52       S#16
> IPv6 Source Address only applicable with NAT
>
> 5.12.12.    OUTSIDE_IPV6_DST_ADDR
>         V#53       S#16
> IPv6 Destination Address only applicable with NAT

Delete ENd
==========

	Already covered above in more detail above.
	Even if we disagree on the exact text, this
	stuyff is duplicate.

> 5.13.  Vendor Specific IE
>
> Vendors may add their own information to the protocol. Information
> contained in this IE is vendor specific. OID and OID Value is defined by
> ITU X.680.X683 (1997) and is encoded as defined by ITU X.690.691(1997).
> This IE MUST not contain any information which cannot be safely ignored
> by the Exporter or Collector. If multiple Vendor Specific IE's with the
> same OID occur, then the vendor defines semantics of ordering.
>
> 5.14. Misc. Information Elements
>
> To be added
>
> 5.14.1. Flow Label IE
>
> The Flow Label IE contains the IPV6 Flow Label information as defined by
> RFC 2460.
> 5.14.2.    Flow Direction
>                V#54       S#1
> The direction of the flow observed at the observation point. If the
> observation point is a set of interface(s) the direction is w.r.t the
> wire.
>
> 5.14.3.  Fragment ID IE
>
> The fragment ID associated with the flow. RFC 791 and RFC 2460 define
> fragment ID.
>
> 5.14.4.  Internal queue priority
>
> A switch may map several of its internal priority queues into a Premium,
> High, Medium or Low category.
>
> [ this sections needs more work]
>
> 5.14.5. Global VPN Identifier IE
>
> The VPN identifier associated with the flow as defined in RFC 2685.
>
> 5.14.6.    IPM_DPKTS
>                     V#19      S#4
> Packet count for IP Multicast
>
> 5.14.7.    IPM_DOCTETS
>                   V#20      S#4
>      Octet (byte) count for IP Multicast

	IPM_DPKTS and IPM_DOCTETS should be moved to where
	the other counts are.

> 5.14.8.    LAST_SWITCHED
>                 V#21      S#4
> SysUptime at which the last packet of this flow was switched
>
> 5.14.9.    FIRST_SWITCHED
>                V#22      S#4
> SysUptime at which the first packet of this flow was switched
> [Need to expand more]

	Move these with the other timestamp info,
	I'll work on combining.

> 5.14.10.    MAC_ADDR
>                      V#25      S#6
> Layer 2 Media Access Control address associated with a flow

	Delete. Already covered under the address stuff.

> 5.14.11.    VLAN_ID
>                       V#26      S#2
> Virtual LAN identifier associated with a flow

	Delete. already covered in more detail.

> 5.14.12.    ICMP_TYPE
>                     V#32      S#1
> ICMP Packet Type. This is reported as (ICMP Type * 256) + ICMP code

	We need a spec reference.

> 5.14.13.    IGMP_TYPE
>                     V#33      S#1
> IGMP Packet Type