RE: [ipfix-arch] IPFIX and AAA and IPFIX for QoS Monitoring

"Siddiqui, Anwar A (Anwar)" <anwars@avaya.com> Thu, 07 February 2002 14:39 UTC

Subject: RE: [ipfix-arch] IPFIX and AAA and IPFIX for QoS Monitoring
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:23:14 -0500
From: "Siddiqui, Anwar A (Anwar)" <anwars@avaya.com>
To: Reinaldo Penno <reinaldo_penno@nortelnetworks.com>, Tanja Zseby <zseby@fokus.gmd.de>, "K.C. Norseth" <kcn@norseth.com>
Cc: ipfix-arch@net.doit.wisc.edu, abierman@ciscco.com.avaya.com, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Hello,

There are couple of issues with IPFIX and QOS Monitoring.

1. There is RMON WG that is doing some work on QOS Monitoring.
There are some standard tarck work in this space like SMON, RMON,
Application
Performance Measurement (APM),  Transport Performance Measurement (TPM),

Synthetic Source Measurement (SSPM) etc. are a few solutions that
resdides in this space.
There is also a proposed darft for Realtime Application QOS Monitoring
(RAQMON)
in RMON WG presented during last 2 IETF sessions. This draft has
    --> a MIB definition for storage of data and
    --> A protocol interface between the end devices to report QOS
parameters from an IP end device
to a report collector.

It was raised in that WG during RAQMON presentation whether IPFIX can be
leveraged
as a "light weight" protocol such that the IP end devices can use that
to report data
to report collector?

Is this within the charter of IPFIX WG? When IPFIX was chartered, it was
focused towards
billing and reliable transport resquirements were heavy. However this
could be my misunderstanding too.
Can some one plese comment on that.

Here is a copy of the RAQMON draft that we are working from.
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-siddiqui-rmonmib-raqmon-mib
-00.txt

BTW there is also IPPM WG deciding on various methodologies of QOS
mesaurements.

Anwar