Re: IPFIX SCTP Stream Selection [was Re: [IPFIX] Implementation Guidelines // SCTP]

"Boschi, Elisa" <Elisa.Boschi@Hitachi-eu.com> Fri, 08 June 2007 08:33 UTC

Subject: Re: IPFIX SCTP Stream Selection [was Re: [IPFIX] Implementation Guidelines // SCTP]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:30:25 +0100
From: "Boschi, Elisa" <Elisa.Boschi@Hitachi-eu.com>
To: bclaise@cisco.com
Cc: peterlei@cisco.com, ipfix@ietf.org

Benoit, Andrew,

> I agree with Andrew. I see the per-sctp-stream draft an en extension to
> the current IPFIX protocol.
> Note that extension will fully make sense with the possible addition of
> streams within an existing SCTP association.

yes

> Now, I understand Brian/Gehrard 's suggestions to simplify the IPFIX
> protocol, and I'm not opposed to it.
> Nevertheless, I'm concerned about this last minute quite significant
> change. Have we spent enough time thinking about the consequences:
> Template Withdraw Messages, Options Template, etc... By giving the full
> flexibility, is there enough guidelines for the different cases?
>
> My view is that a RFC with errata is confusing. But, if the protocol is
> changed, it will delay further the RFC publication.

One of the reasons why we propose the errata is that when implementing IPFIX over SCTP, implementers start wondering why we have the constraint of sending all templates on stream 0. This happened at the last interop, and recently Gerhard has raised the same issue. It will surely happen again. Actually there seem to be agreement on the list that the requirement is unnecessary. So the errata would simplify and clarify things.
If we managed to have this errata published quickly, the new implementations would follow the new specification.

The "confusion" coming from the existence of an errata could be reduced by adding a reference to it in the IPFIX Documents Overview sections of all the documents in the present (and future) charters...

No doubt that the protocol would be the best place to make this kind of changes. The errata seemed just a good compromise.

> Note: the IPFIX WG has taken too long to produce RFCs (all the
> references amongst IPFIX and PSAMP documents is one of the factor) This
> is good in the sense we could have multiple interops to test the
> protocol, but this leads into this complex situation where we always to
> improve the documents. If we had more classical WG ;), I guess that we
> would have the Proposed Standard by now, and that those changes would go
> in the Draft Standard
>
> Note: even the protocol is changed, I think the per-stream draft still
> makes sense, as Andrew wrote:
>
>     If the collector knows that the per-stream
>     rules are being used then it can infer additional information when
>     packets are lost, as well as benefit from the template/data ordering

removing the stream 0 constraint (i.e. the errata) is not an alternative to your proposed extension. On the contrary, I see it as a way to reduce the confusion people might have to see an extension contraddicting a strong recommendation (the SHOULD) given in the protocol specification. Extensions on the use of SCTP (your proposal and maybe others in the future?) based on this are perfectly fine.

Regards,
Elisa