Re: [IPFIX] proposal for IPFIX charter update

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Fri, 02 September 2011 14:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:24:12 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu>
Cc: IETF IPFIX Working Group <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] proposal for IPFIX charter update

Hi Juergen,

Next to Dan's editorial comments, I have some more.
See in line.
> Dear all,
>
> At our session in Quebec we discussed candidates
> for new IPFIX work items. Based on this discussion,
> Nevil and I drafted an update of our charter that
> you can find below.
>
> Please have a look at it and send us your comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
>      Juergen
>

> IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)
>

> Description of Working Group
>

> The IPFIX working group has specified the information model (to describe
> IP flows) and the IPFIX protocol (to transfer IP flow data from IPFIX
> exporters to collectors). Several implementers have already built
> applications using the IPFIX protocol. As a result of a series of IPFIX
> interoperability testing events the WG has produced guidelines for IPFIX
> implementation and testing as well as recommendations for handling
> special cases such as bidirectional flow reporting and reducing
> redundancy in flow records.
>
> The IPFIX WG has developed a mediation framework, that defines IPFIX
> mediators for processing flow records for various purposes including
> aggregation, anonymization, etc. For configuring IPFIX devices, a YANG
> module has been developed.
>
> 1. Having a solid standardized base for IPFIX deployment and operation
> and several exiting implementations, the IPFIX WG will revisit the IPFIX
> protocol specifications (RFC 5101) and the IPFIX information element
> specification (RFC 5102) in order to advance them to draft standard.
>
> 2. For giving guidelines to developers of new IPFIX information
> elements and for better defining the process of registering new
> information elements at IANA the IPFIX WG will create an information
> element developers guideline document.
There are actually two different audiences. See section 1.1
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-trammell-ipfix-ie-doctors-02
NEW:

For giving guidelines to developers of new IPFIX information
elements, for helping the IPFIX experts appointed as IE-Doctors, and for better defining the process of registering new
information elements at IANA, the IPFIX WG will create an information
element developers guideline document.

> 3. The export of IPFIX flow records from IPFIX mediators introduces a
> set of potential issues at the protocol level, such as the loss of
> information on the original exporter, loss of base time information,
> loss of original options template information, etc. The IPFIX WG will
> define common ways to deal with these issues, by specifying guidelines
> for the use of the IPFIX protocol on IPFIX mediators.
"common ways", "specifying guidelines for the use of the IPFIX
protocol": actually it's a real protocol specification, which will be
standard track.
Should we be more specific?
Note that
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-claise-ipfix-mediation-protocol-04
title is: Specification of the Protocol for IPFIX Mediations

For example:

3. The export of IPFIX flow records from IPFIX mediators introduces a
set of potential issues at the protocol level, such as the loss of
information on the original exporter, loss of base time information,
loss of original options template information, etc. The IPFIX WG will
produce the protocol specifications in order to solve these IPFIX mediation
specific problems.

> 4. For supporting the aggregation of flow records at IPFIX mediators
> the IPFIX WG will define how to export aggregated flow information using
s/define/specify
> IPFIX. An aggregated flow is essentially an IPFIX flow representing
> packets from multiple original Flows sharing some set of common properties.
s/Flow/flow

Regards, Benoit.