Re: [IPFIX] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-claise-structured-data-in-ipfix-00.txt]

Atsushi Kobayashi <akoba@nttv6.net> Mon, 23 March 2009 13:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 23:00:01 +0900
From: Atsushi Kobayashi <akoba@nttv6.net>
To: Gerhard Muenz <muenz@net.in.tum.de>
Cc: "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-claise-structured-data-in-ipfix-00.txt]

Dear Gerhard, Benoit, Gowri, Stan, Paul,

Gerhard, good point. I hope logical OR.

I think BasicList also allows to encode the egress interface indexes of
multicast packets/flows, and the BGP communities of specific destination
IP address. Even AS path can be encoded in a Flow Records.

It can be considered more sophisticated way than traditional one. I hope
that the examples about Flow Records in the draft are rich to be easy to
understand.

And also, in QoS performance measurement, Exporter or Mediator creates
some metrics every 1 or 2 seconds, so they need to export data record
every 1 or 2 seconds. BasicList allows to encode metrics list during
some periods, such as 60 sec. It can reduce redundancy.

Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:57:58 +0100
Gerhard Muenz <muenz@net.in.tum.de> wrote:

> Hi Benoit, Gowri, Stan, Paul,
>
> I like your approach of structured data types. Such types, especially
> the list type, are urgently needed in the context of PSAMP!
> Interestingly, you do not mention these applications in the draft. So,
> I'll briefly sketch them:
>
> 1) PSAMP Selection Sequence Report Interpretation
>
> Here, RFC5476 explicitly mentions the need for list types:
>
>    Scope:     selectionSequenceId
>    Non-Scope: one Information Element mapping the Observation Point
>               selectorId (one or more)
>
>    An Information Element representing the Observation Point would
>    typically be taken from the ingressInterface, egressInterface,
>    lineCardId, exporterIPv4Address, or exporterIPv6Address Information
>    Elements (specified in [RFC5102]), but is not limited to those: any
>    Information Element specified in [RFC5102] or [RFC5477] can
>    potentially be used.  In case of more complex Observation Points
>    (such as a list of interfaces, a bus, etc.), a new Information
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Element describing the new type of Observation Point must be
>    specified, along with an Options Template Record describing it in
>    more detail (if necessary).
>
> In fact, this is the business case that you pretend not to see for
> Options Templates in 5.2 of your draft ;)
>

> 2) PSAMP Property Match Filtering
> ---------------------------------
>
> From RFC75476:
>
>    When multiple different Information Elements are defined, the filter
>    acts as a logical AND.  Note that the logical OR is not covered by
>    these PSAMP specifications.
>
> In practice,  is urgently needed. See my recent discussion
> with Andrew on the ML:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipfix/current/msg04802.html
>
> In draft-sommer-ipfix-mediator-ext-01, we proposed ADTs orderedList,
> orderedPair, and portRanges which allow the definition new IEs for port
> ranges etc. Your proposal is more generic as it does not require the
> specification of a new IE for every purpose where a list is needed.
>
> The OR-semantic of a filter could be solved with a new Information
> Element anyList which is derived from the ADT basicList. In contrast to
> IE basicList, anyList introduces the semantic that exactly one of the
> reported values was observed. As a consequence, we can export an anyList
> of port numbers in Property Match Filtering in order to describe a
> filter that selects packets given a list of port numbers.
>

> I would appreciate if the above issues were addressed in a future
> version of your draft!
>

> Further comments:
>
> >      3.1. IPFIX Limitations
> >       To export this information in IPFIX, the data would need to be
> >       flattened (thus losing the hierarchical relationships) and a new
> >       IPFIX Template created for each alert, according to the number of
> >       applicationID elements in each target, the number of targets and
> >       attackers in each participant and the number of participants in
> [...]

---
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <akoba@nttv6.net>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637