Re: [IPFIX] [Syslog] Missing dead peer detection in DTLS

Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de> Thu, 30 July 2009 15:24 UTC

From: Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de>
To: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:24:20 +0200
Cc: Robin Seggelmann <seggelmann@fh-muenster.de>, ipfix@ietf.org, Daniel Mentz <mentz@in.tum.de>, syslog@ietf.org, tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] [Syslog] Missing dead peer detection in DTLS

Hi Tom,

a question in-line.

Best regards
Michael

On Jul 30, 2009, at 11:44 AM, tom.petch wrote:

> Gerhard
>
> Thank you for pointing this out; it had escaped me.
>
> What I had thought though was that the lack of flow control with
> DTLS over UDP
> is a problem, and that the lack of this with syslog over UDP led the
> syslog RFC
> [RFC5424] to make syslog over TLS the RECOMMENDED transport, not, as
> might be
> expected, syslog over UDP.
So I think it is actually congestion control what you are looking
for, which is provided by TCP when using SYSLOG/TLS/TCP/IP, right?

> This in turn led me to expect that syslog over DTLS over UDP would
> not be
> acceptable to the IESG, rather that syslog over DTLS over SCTP would
> become the
> RECOMMENDED transport.
This would mean, that
* SYSLOG/TLS/TCP/IP
* SYSLOG/DTLS/SCTP/IP
* SYSLOG/DTLS/DCCP/IP
are in principle acceptable, whereas
* SYSLOG/DTLS/UDP/IP
is not.
You would (from the congestion control perspective) have the same
classification when taking out the DTLS or TLS layer, right?