[IPFIX] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-04.txt

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Thu, 29 October 2009 10:01 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:01:44 +0100
To: ipfix@ietf.org
Subject: [IPFIX] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-04.txt

Hi, Benoit, all,

I have a few comments on the -04 perstream draft.

In general the quality of the draft has improved greatly. I'm quite
happy with the detail in section 4.5 for guaranteeing interoperability
while still allowing CPs to get the benefits of per-stream, which was
my main issue with the previous revision. I notice too the Intended
Status is now Standards Track. I presume that this Standards Track
designation is equivalent to that of e.g. 5103 (Biflow): this is an
optional specification with specific applicability; otherwise, it's
still fine IMO as Informational, but then you have to ditch all the
2119 language. I think it was the appearance of 2119 language in an
Informational draft that made the IESG suggest Standards Track; see
5473 for an example of how to describe a mechanism with specific
applicability in a non-normative way. Of course, then there's the
problem with an Informative RFC contradicting a Standards Track one
(5101), necessary for the CP to realize the perstream advantages... In
any case, I'm not convinced the discussion is complete on this point.

Presuming we're talking about a restricted-applicability Standards
Track draft, the applicability of the draft is now clearer in previous
versions, but I would still suggest certain changes to the language in
order to avoid confusion on this point, as follows.

2.2 Applicability para 1

OLD: The specifications are required in cases where we must know how
many data records of a certain type...

NEW: The specifications contained in this document are applicable to
cases where application requirements include knowing how many data
records of a certain type...

[Yes, I know that required isn't a REQUIRED, but I want implementors
to be sure they don't have to do perstream if they're not splitting
templates by app; I believe the suggested text clarifies this point]

2.2 Applicability para 3

OLD: However, in order to benefit from the advantages, the Collecting
Process specified in [RFC5101] must implement some additional
specifications that this document introduces.

NEW: However, Collecting Processes may implement additional support
for per-stream export specified in this document in order to realize
all the benefits of the approach specified herein.

[Same thing. Make it clear we're not updating 5101.]

3.2.1 Transmission Order within an SCTP Stream / IPFIX Protocol
Specifications Limitation paragraph 5

DELETE: In practice, Data Records without associated (Options)
template records will most likely be discarded by the Collecting
Process.

[Maybe true. Probably, even. Appropriate for an Informational draft or
an implementation report. But this comes too close to contradicting a
MAY in 5101 to be appropriate for a Standards Track draft.]

4. Specifications para 1

OLD: This section introduces improvements compared to the IPFIX
specifications in [RFC5101].

NEW: This section specifies Exporting Process and Collecting Process
behavior different from that in [RFC5101] in order to realize the
benefits of per-stream export. Note that Exporting Processes following
these Specifications will interoperate with [RFC5101]-compliant
Collecting Processes, but that Collecting Processes will have to
follow additional non-interoperable specifications to realize the full
benefits of the technique.

[The current text does not take applicability under consideration.]

4.2 Template Management para 1

OLD: This section introduces some additional specifications compared
to the Template Management section 8 in [RFC 5101]

NEW: To take advantage of per-stream export, Exporting Processes
should follow the specification in this section in addition to Section
8, Template Management, of [RFC5101].

[As for 4 above.]

4.3 SCTP para 1

OLD: This section introduces some more specific specifications
compared to the SCTP section 10.2 in [RFC 5101], in particular the
"Stream" section 10.2.4.3.

NEW: To take advantage of per-stream export, Exporting Processes
should manage SCTP streams according to the specification in this
section, in addition to Section 10.2.4.3, Stream, of [RFC5101].

[As for 4 above.]

4.4 Template Withdrawal Message para 1

OLD: This section introduces some more specific Template Withdrawal
Message-related specifications compared to  [RFC 5101]

NEW: To take advantage of per-stream export, Exporting Processes
should send Template Withdrawal Messages according to the
specification in this section, in addition to Section 8, Template
Management, of [RFC5101].

[As for 4 above.]

4.5 The Collecting Process's Side para 1

OLD: This section introduces some more specific specifications to the
Collection Process compared to section 9 in [RFC5101]. However, the
new specifications are backwards compatible with RFC5101- compliant
Collecting Processes and are only needed to benefit from the
advantages offered by the per-SCTP-stream extension.

NEW: Collecting Processes must operate slightly contrary to [RFC5101]
in order to realize the full benefits of per-stream export. However,
the specification in this section contains a mechanism which allows
per-stream-capable Collecting Processes to selectively enable per-
stream export, in order to ensure interoperability of per-stream-
capable Collecting Processes with Exporting Processes which do not
implement per-stream export.

[As for 4. Clarified that CPs need to interoperate with EPs, not "have
backward compatibility" with other CPs.]

A suggestion not strictly limited to applicability:

4.1 dataRecordsReliability Information Element

[This information element is specified to only apply to Template ID
scopes. Could it not also be scoped to other things (SCTP Stream ID,
for instance) for a generalization of the approach? suggest the
following:]

OLD:
    dataRecordsReliability

               The Data Records reliability associated with this
               Template ID.  The true value means that the Data Records
               are sent reliably, while the false value means that the
               Data Records are not sent reliably.

NEW:
   dataRecordsReliability

       The Data Records reliability associated with the elements in
        the Options Template scope, usually a templateID. A true value
        means that the Data Records are sent reliably, while a false
value
        means that the Data Records are not sent reliably.

In addition, on review I found the following editorial issues:

Subsections of 3, stylistic: The structure of this section reads a
little like a sales pitch (with the subsubsections IPFIX limitations /
perstream advantages per each subsection). Further, I don't actually
think the split into subsubsections is necessary; the text flows fine
without the headings. If you really want to keep the subsubsections,
name the 3.x.1 "IPFIX Protocol Specification Limitations" for
plurality agreement with 3.x.2.

3.2.1 Transmission Order within an SCTP Stream / IPFIX Protocol
Specifications Limitation paragraph 1

OLD: The IPFIX protocol specification foresees:

NEW: [RFC5101] specifies:

3.3.2 No Transmission Order across SCTP Streams / IPFIX Export Per
SCTP Stream Advantages, general

[This section should mention Options Templates, since 3.3.1 does.]

4.1 dataRecordsReliability

[should have an IANA NOTE pointing out that IANA should change the
xxx. They'll probably figure it out anyway but why not be helpful? :) ]

Further, I suspect you'll get a Security question asking about what
SCTP-RESET does to the SCTP-relevant bits of the 5101 security
considerations, so a paragraph exploring the potential risks (and
then, therefore, one hopes, dismissing them) would be useful here.

hm. That seems to be about it (it was a little longer than I
originally intended). Hope this helps. :)

Cheers,

Brian