Re: some thoughts in prep for Wed. WG meeting (was "Re: [ipfix] IPFIX WG Agenda for IETF 52")

Dave Plonka <plonka@doit.wisc.edu> Tue, 11 December 2001 16:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:30:30 -0600
From: Dave Plonka <plonka@doit.wisc.edu>
To: ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu
Cc: Juergen Quittek <quittek@ccrle.nec.de>
Subject: Re: some thoughts in prep for Wed. WG meeting (was "Re: [ipfix] IPFIX WG Agenda for IETF 52")
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:32:09AM +0100, Juergen Quittek wrote:
> --On 10 December 2001 19:02 -0600 Dave Plonka <plonka@doit.wisc.edu> wrote:
> >   0) add "Definitions" section (1.2?)
<snip>
> I agree, that this is a very helpful extension of the document.
> When we submitted the current draft, we already had a "terminology"
> or "definitions" section on our to do list for the next version.
>
> What should probably be added is
>        f) observation point

Yes, I'm not sure I understand the use of that term yet.

> Do you suggest to rename "measuring device" by "exporter"?

In short, yes.  We can discuss this in the meeting and summarize the
proposal to the list following the meeting tomorrow (Dec 11).

> >   1) Unidirectional vs. bi-directional flow definition
>
> This will be an interesting discussion.

Agreed - I'll leave it at that until the meeting minutes.

<snip>
> >   2) In what ways might the exporter adapt/deal with copious amounts of
> >      data...
> >      dynamic timeouts?
> >      dynamic flow rules?
> >      dynamic sampling on/off?
>
> You do not mention the most obvious option:
>        stop measuring?

Yes, that is a fair addition to stop exporting, or stop exporting flows
of a particular type.

I'm not trying to list all options, I just want to introduce the idea
so that we can explore how the Requirements I-D might allow the
exporter to change its behavior "on the fly" due to resource and
bandwidth limitations, perhaps as configured.

Interestingly, "draft-duffield-framework-papame-00" mentions some of
these issues.  For those that haven't looked at it, it has a lot of
issues in common with our effort.

Dave

--
plonka@doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI