Re: [IPFIX] Semantic and structured data

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Mon, 15 March 2010 13:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:18:54 +0100
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Cc: ipfix@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Semantic and structured data

Dear all,

We've been thinking about this one, and we see 3 solutions. We believe
that the solution 3 is the way to go, as we show below.

_Solution 1. _
Consider that the semantic is out of scope for this document.
This is the easiest solution.  However, we understand it's not right: we
would not do a complete job wrt to IPFIX structured data
As Gerhard was expressing, the collector has not clue how to treat the
example of a BasicList of egress interfaces in a Flow Record.
     - Has every counted packet been sent on every egress interface?
       => multicast case, AND semantic
     - Has every counted packet been sent on any one of the egress
interfaces?
      => load balancing case, OR semantic

_Soltution 2_
We could focus on the logical AND and OR semantics only , by defining
semantic lists, such as andBasicList, andSubTemplateList,
andSubTemplateMultiList, orBasicList, orSubTemplateList, and
orSubTemplateMultiList
So 6 I.E.s in total, describing AND and OR semantics.
While it's solved the router and most mediation function needs today, we
understand that this is not a complete solution.
Gerhard, in one of his old draft, draft-sommer-ipfix-mediator-ext-01,
proposed ADTs for orderedList, orderedPair, and portRanges which allow
the definition new IEs for port ranges etc.
Even if this solution 2 is extensible, in the long term, will lead to an
explosion of IEs: 3 list types * the semantic type, where the semantic
can be (and, or, orderedList, orderedPair, portRanges, random, etc...)

_Soltution 3
_We propose to add a semantic field in the 3 list types.
Something such as:

|0|               Field ID    |       Element Length            |
| Semantic  |             BasicList Content ...                 |
|                           ...                                 |

This semantic field would be a new IANA registry, we could be populated
initially with NONE, OR, AND, ORDERED, etc... Up to discussion.
The advantage of this solution is that it's extensible, and it doesn't
need new IEs for each semantic.
If ever required (mainly in a mediation function), we can model  very
complex semantic, eg, "(eth1 OR eth2) AND (NOT (eth3 OR eth4)) OR
linecard2", which could be the new observation point from a aggregated
Flow Record

_Conclusion:_
After much debate internally, we believe that we should do the effort to
include this semantic now, and not postpone the problem, which will lead
to an explosion of IEs in the future.
Personally, I was initially against the solution 3 ... mostly due to the
effort required to modify the complete specs.
We're now ready to modify the specifications in the IPFIX structured
data, but we would like to get your feedback and agreement in advance as
this is not a small piece of work.

Please comment.

Regards, Paul, Stan, Gowri, and Benoit.