Re: [ipfix-arch] applicability document

Robert Lowe <robert.h.lowe@lawrence.edu> Thu, 21 February 2002 23:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:14:57 -0600
From: Robert Lowe <robert.h.lowe@lawrence.edu>
Subject: Re: [ipfix-arch] applicability document
To: Tanja Zseby <zseby@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc: "K.C. Norseth" <kcn@norseth.com>, reinaldo_penno@nortelnetworks.com, IPFIX Architecture <ipfix-arch@net.doit.wisc.edu>
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Tanja Zseby wrote:

Hi Tanja!

See inline comments... Mostly English stuff -- somewhere where I can rise slightly
above useless in this whole process.  :-)

-Robert

P.S. I ran out of time to go through everything now... I'll try to add more
comments later, beginning with section 4.1.1

> [...]
> all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 [1].
>
> Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
> Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that
> other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
> Drafts. Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of
> six months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
> documents at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts
> as reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
> progress."
>
> The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt
> The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.
>
> Abstract
>
> This document describes how various applications can use the IP
> Flow Information Export (IPFIX) protocol. It furthermore shows how
> the IPFIX framework relates to other architectures and frameworks.
>
> Conventions used in this document
>
> The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
> "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
> this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [ ].
>
> 1. INTRODUCTION 2
> 2. TERMINOLOGY  3
> 3. APPLICATIONS OF IPFIX        3
> 3.1. ACCOUNTING WITH IPFIX      3
> 3.2. TRAFFIC PROFILING WITH IPFIX       3
> 3.3. TRAFFIC ENGINEERING WITH IPFIX     3
> 3.4. INTRUSION DETECTION WITH IPFIX     3
> 3.5. QOS MONITORING WITH IPFIX  3
> 3.5.1. Measurement of Round-trip-time (RTT) with IPFIX  4
> 3.5.2. Measurement of One-way-delay (OWD) with IPFIX    4
> 3.5.3. Measurement of Loss with IPFIX   5
> 3.5.4. Measurement of delay variation with IPFIX        5
> 3.5.5. Sampling for QoS Monitoring      5
> 3.6. DEPLOYMENT OF SAMPLING METHODS IN IPFIX    5
> 4. RELATION OF IPFIX TO OTHER FRAMEWORKS AND PROTOCOLS  5
> 4.1. IPFIX AND AAA      6
> 4.1.1. Connecting via an AAA client     7
> 4.1.2. Connecting via an Application Specific Module (ASM) 7
> 4.2. IPFIX AND RTFM     8
> 4.3. IPFIX CONSIDERATIONS FOR MIDDLEBOXES       8
> 4.3.1. Firewall 8
> 4.3.2. Network Address Translation      9
> 4.3.3. Traffic Conditioners     11
> 4.3.4. Tunneling        12
> 4.3.5. VPNs     12
> 4.4. IPFIX AND RMON     14
> 4.5. IPFIX AND IPPM     14
> 4.6. IPFIX AND PSAMP    14
> 5. SECURITY CONSIDERATION       15
> 6. REFERENCES   15
> 7. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS     16
> 8. AUTHOR'S ADDRESSES   16
> 9. FULL COPYRIGHT STATEMENT     17
>
> 1. Introduction
>
> The IPFIX protocol defines how IP Flow information can be exported.
> It is intended to provide input for various applications. This
> document describes how applications can use the IPFIX protocol.
> Furthermore the relations of IPFIX to other frameworks and
             ,    ^^^^^^^^^
                 relationship

> architectures are described.
>
> 2. Terminology
> [maybe needed ]
>
> 3. Applications of IPFIX
>
> 3.1. Accounting with IPFIX
> [TODO for Tanja]
>
> 3.2. Traffic Profiling with IPFIX
>
> [TODO]
>
> 3.3. Traffic Engineering with IPFIX
>
> [TODO]
>
> 3.4. Intrusion detection with IPFIX
> [TODO for Reinaldo ?]
>
> Intrusion Detection System (IDS) monitors and controls the security
 ^^                                                        ^^^
insert 'An' or modify the subject/verbs
drop 'the'

> incidents [4]. Typical IDS system includes components like Data
                 ^^^^^^^
A typical...

> source, Sensor, Analyzer and Management stations [4]. A Sensor

I don't know what common practice is in these documents, but unless
it is accompanied by an acronym, I would change these nouns to
lowercase (and any others throughout).

> monitors the data source and raises the alarm to the Analyzer. The
                                      ^^^
                                       an

> analyzer collects various incident information and reports this to
> the management station.
>
> With IPFIX, the event of interest can be exported either from
> collector or from exporter. For smooth integration, it will be better

I'd change this to... "from either the collector or the exporter."

> for the IDS system to integrate with the collector since the
                                                    ,

One of the editors can improve the "flow" by not using integration
and integrate in the same sentence.  ;-)

> collector has all the aggregated information from different
> observation points. The IDS can request the collector to monitor the
> events or IP flow through an IPFIX template.
>
> [Who contributed this text to the architecture doc ?]
>
> 3.5. QoS Monitoring with IPFIX
>
> The performance of QoS monitoring is one target application for using
> the IPFIX protocol.

This whole section is about "target applications", so I would drop
this sentence altogether.

> QoS monitoring is the passive observation of the
                                               ^^^ (unnecessary)
> transmission quality for single flows or traffic aggregates in the
> network. It is needed for instance for the validation of QoS

One example of its usefulness is for the validation...

> guarantees in service level agreements. Some QoS metrics require the
> correlation of data from multiple measurement points. For this the

this=accurate correlation?

> clock of the involved exporting devices need to be synchronized.
                              (the clock) needs
> Furthermore such measurements would benefit from post-processing
             ,
> functions (e.g. packet ID generation) at the exporter and/or
> collector. This section describes how the monitoring of different
> metrics can be performed with IPFIX. The following metrics are
> considered: round trip time, one-way-delay, loss and delay variation.
>
> 3.5.1.Measurement of Round-trip-time (RTT) with IPFIX
>
> The passive measurement of round-trip-times (RTT) can be performed by
> using packet pair matching techniques as described in [Brow00]. For
> the measurements, request/response packet pairs from protocols like
> DNS, ICMP,SNMP or TCP (syn/syn-ack, data/ack) are utilized to
            ^ (insert space)
> passively observe the RTT. As always for passive measurements this
                                      ,
> only works if the required traffic of interest is actually present in
> the network. In order to use this measurement technique, the IPFIX
> meter needs to measure both directions. A classification of the

(I second Carter -- meter should be clarified)

> protocols mentioned above has to be done. That means parts of the

Parts of...

> transport header are used for the classification. Since a
> differentiation of flows in accordance to the transport header is one
                                         ^^ (with?)
> of the requirements for IPFIX, such classification can be performed
> without extensions. Nevertheless, the meter needs to recognize
> request and response packets for the given protocols and therefore
> needs to look further into the packet.

IMHO, "therefore needs to" is unnecessary.  The final "packet"
needs to be plural, correct? Otherwise, specifically mention one of
the packets (request or response).

> This is not required for IPFIX

"This" is ambiguous.  Do you mean measurement of the RTT is not a
required component of any given IPFIX implementation?

> but can be achieved by optional extensions to the classification
> process. The exporting device needs to assign a timestamp for the
> arrival of the packets. The calculation of the RTT can be done
> directly at the exporter or at the collector. In the first case IPFIX
                                                                 ,
> would transfer the calculated RTT to the collector. In the second
> case IPFIX needs to send the observed packet types and the timestamps
> to the collector.
>
> 3.5.2.Measurement of One-way-delay (OWD) with IPFIX
>
> Passive one-way-delay measurements require the collection of data at
> two measurement points. It is required to recognize packets at the
                                ^^^^^^^^
                                necessary

> second measurement point in order to correlate packet arrival events
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^

> from both points. This can be done for instance by capturing packet
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
unnecessary -- implied by "can be".

> headers and parts of the packet and recognize packets based on this.
                             1    2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. Should agree with packet headers -- both singular, or both plural.
   E.g., This can be done by capturing the packet header and parts of
   the packet...

2. ...that can be used to recognize the same packet at the subsequent
   measurement point.

> In order to reduce the amount of measurement data a unique packet ID
  ^^^^^^^^ (unnecessary)                           ,

                         ,

> 3.5.3.Measurement of Loss with IPFIX
>
> Passive loss measurements for single flows can be performed at one
> measurement point for instance by using sequence numbers that are
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ (delete)
> present in higher layer protocols. This requires the capturing of the
> sequence numbers of subsequent packets of the observed flow at the
                                         ^^ (in?)
> IPFIX meter. An alternative to this is to perform a two-point
> measurement as described above and just consider packets as lost that
> do not arrive at the second measurement point in a given maximum time
> frame.
>
> 3.5.4.Measurement of delay variation with IPFIX
>
> Delay variation is defined as the difference of one-way-delay values
> for selected packets.[DeCi01]. Therefore this metric can be
> calculated by performing passive measurement of one-way-delay for
> subsequent packets (e.g. of a flow) and then calculate the
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                           calculating
> differences.
>
> 3.5.5.Sampling for QoS Monitoring
>
> Since QoS monitoring can lead to an overwhelming amount of
                           ^^^^^^^
                           produce
> measurement result data, it would  highly benefit from the deployment
              ^^1^^^       ^^^^^^^^^2^^^^^^...
1. delete this word
2. ...methods such as aggregation of results, and sampling would
   greatly increase the efficiency of the collection and analysis process.

> of mechanisms to reduce the measurement data, like aggregation of
> results and sampling. Sampling methods can be grouped according to
> the sampling strategy (systematic, random or stratified) and the
> trigger that starts a sampling interval (count-based, time-based or
> packet-content-based) [ClPB93]. Sampling can also be used as a method
> to dynamically reduce resource consumption if the meter is
> overloaded.

> Then the IPFIX meter can switch to a sampling method if
> too many packets have to be observed.

Given the bursty nature of IP traffic, is this an appropriate
strategy???  We had a similar discussion relating to fall-back
strategies when an exporter is under heavy load and came to the
conclusion that this was not worth pursuing.

> Since the expected estimation
> error depends heavily on the used sampling strategy, the application
                               ^^^^                  ^
                              (delete)              in use
OR... deployed sampling strategy

> that receives the data needs to be aware of the sampling scheme and
> the used parameters. Therefore it is important that the IPFIX
      ^^^^
    (delete)         ^in use

> exporter informs the collector precisely about the used sampling
> strategy.

Eliminate this sentence... implied from the previous?  At the very
least, re-word it!

> This is even more required if the IPFIX meter dynamically
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No "Versteigerung" possible.  Required is like "dead" -- if you
are, you can't become more dead.  :)

> invokes sampling.
  ^^^^^^^
  or adjusts?

> 3.6. Deployment of Sampling Methods in IPFIX
>
> [TODO for Tanja]
>
>   [other applications ?]
>
> 4. Relation of IPFIX to other frameworks and protocols
>
> 4.1. IPFIX and AAA
>
> AAA defines a protocol and architecture for authentication,
> authorization and accounting for service usage. The DIAMETER protocol
> is used for AAA communication for network access services (Mobile IP,
> NASREQ, and ROAMOPS). The AAA architecture [XXX-RFC2903] provides a
> framework for extending the AAA support also for other services.
                                          ^^^^^^^^

> DIAMETER defines the exchange of messages between AAA entities, e.g.
> between AAA clients at access devices and AAA servers and among AAA
> servers. It is used also for the transfers of accounting records. For
                                           ^ (singular)
> usage-based accounting measurement data from the network is needed to
> generate an accounting record.

Don't understand this sentence... for (something to happen), (something
else) is needed.

--
Help        mailto:majordomo@net.doit.wisc.edu and say "help" in message body