Re: [ipfix-req] Content Based Sampling

Mark Thibodeau <mark.thibodeau@alcatel.com> Mon, 24 March 2003 14:16 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:45:35 -0500
From: Mark Thibodeau <mark.thibodeau@alcatel.com>
To: Mark Fullmer <maf@eng.oar.net>
CC: Tanja Zseby <zseby@fokus.fraunhofer.de>, ipfix-req@net.doit.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: [ipfix-req] Content Based Sampling
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Sorry...I think I've gotten lost in this email thread.  Here is the scenario I'm thinking about:

Before the metering function, flows are subjected to ACL rules (or filters).  The result of the ACL
lookup is an action (permit/deny) and possibly a Netflow templateID.  If the action is permit, the
flow is added to the flow cache.  The templateID is used to determine what information to store about
the flow.  Many ACL rules can use the same Netflow templateID.

When a flow is exported, the Netflow templateID must be indicated.  AND....maybe some information
about the particular ACL rule that was hit should also be indicated.

The templateID can be indicated by providing a template id or name as you've described below.
However, how do we provide information about the ACL rule?

Are you aware of any routers that currently exported information about the ACL rule that was hit?  I
don't believe Cisco Netflow9 provides this information.

Thanks,
Mark