[ draft-ietf-iplpdn-x25_isdn-02.txt ]

Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com> Mon, 09 March 1992 15:43 UTC

To: iplpdn@nri.reston.va.us
cc: malis@bbn.com
Subject: [ draft-ietf-iplpdn-x25_isdn-02.txt ]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1992 10:32:29 -0500
From: Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com>

All,

Here's yet another version of the "Multiprotocol Interconnect on
X.25 and ISDN in the Packet Mode" spec.  We produced another
version based upon a number of comments we received on the -01
version, both privately and publicly over the list.  This is
DEFINITELY the version we will be discussing in San Diego - there
isn't enough time for any more changes.  PLEASE bring your
comments to with you.

The major changes from version -01 are:

o We cleaned up some ambiguities in the language, especially
  concerning the minimum amount you need to implement to conform
  with the spec, and concerning MTU sizes.

o We added pictures of the packet formats (section 8).  You might
  want to check them out before rereading the text.

o We made a pretty major change to the SNAP encapsulation.  In
  discussions with ANSI X3S3.3 members, including the person who
  added SNAP to ISO/IEC TR 9577, it turns out that the TR can be
  interpreted two ways concerning the encapsulation of SNAP over
  X.25, both are equally valid, and each has advantages for
  different applications.  To make everyone happy, and not
  adversely affect any existing implementations, we have included
  both encapsulations in an as-interoperable-as-possible way.  We
  worked this out with the X3S3.3 chair.  You'll see the two
  different encapsulations in the pictures.  It's pretty simple
  to support them both if you plan to support SNAP over X.25.

I would like to thank you all for your comments.  I think we have
a much better document to discuss in San Diego as a result.

See you next week,
Andy