request from ADs to revise charter

dave@eve Mon, 08 February 1993 20:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1993 15:35:52 -0500
To: iplpdn@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: dave@eve
Subject: request from ADs to revise charter

Dear IPLPDN member,

Stev Knowles and I are now the relevant directors for the Internet Area.
We are in the process of evaluating the charters for all active working
groups in our area to (a) determine what activities are under our
stewardship,
and (b) determine how best to monitor and intervene on behalf of the
community so that timely standards of a very high quality are produced
within the Internet Area.

To be effective, the ADs must have an accurate picture of what each group
intends to accomplish, and when.  The IESG has increased its monitoring and
evaluation of charters requesting the creation of new working groups;
eventually, existing WGs will be subjected to the same scrutiny and
discipline.  The net effect of this policy is that all charters have very
precise goals and objectives, and clearly identified milestones for area
directors to use to determine if the WG is making progress towards its
expressed goals.

The IESG secretary is in the process of introducing an automated monitoring
facility that will allow the ADs to know in advance what milestones are
approaching for all WGs in their area. For this to be effective, all
charters must be accurate and up to date.

The IPLPDN charter is badly in need of revision. It lacks the precision in
defining goals, specific deliverables, and provides virtually no dates for
the completion of work. I have
attached a copy of the charter to this mail so that you can assist the WG
chairman in amending the charter.  (WG Charters may be written and
maintained by a chairman, but it is ultimately the responsibility of the WG
and especially I-D authors and contributors to provide deliverable and
milestone information).

Stev and I wish to see the following amendments to the WG charter prior to
the Columbus IETF meeting:

1)     specific goals, in terms of deliverables -- anticipated RFCs, FYIs,
etc. -- for each of the
        areas under study.  For example, there is no indication of what
will specifically be
        delivered as a result of studying routing for LPDNs, ISDN/X25 call
management,
        use of ISDN-B.
2)     It is unclear from the charter whether the WG will submit individual
RFCs for
        routing over LPDNs for SMDS, ISDN, F/R, or a single routing
solution. This work
        has been on the WG agenda for a very long time, and we have no
indication whether
        the WG is floundering, no longer interested, nearing completion,
etc.  At this point,
        the WG certainly should have some inclination as to how many
routing documents
        it will produce, and when. We expect milestones indicating when
I-Ds are expected,
        when the WG expects to submit I-Ds for Proposed RFC status, etc.,
through to completion
        of the WG activity.
3)     Please list all milestones completed (only a partial list of RFCs
actually delivered by the
        WG is provided). This will  help newcomers and trawlers identify
and locate I-Ds and RFCs
        related to this activity.
4)     It has recently been suggested that SVC activities be added to the
work program; until
        we understand whether the existing list of activity has any hope of
reaching closure,
        Stev and I are reluctant to expand the work program.  If, however,
SVC activities are
        considered a high priority activity, we are open to having the WG
explain how this
        new activity fits in with the scheduling of deliverables you are
about to consider.

Please do not feel that you are being singled out if you do not see a
similar mailing posted on other lists you monitor.  Stev and I are
examining each of the Internet WG charters, so be patient, you'll see a
similar request on those lists RSN.

We would like to see a revised draft of the WG charter by 3/1/93.

regards,

David M. Piscitello (for Stev Knowles)

----------------

IP over Large Public Data Networks (iplpdn)

Charter

Chair(s):
     George Clapp  <clapp@ameris.center.il.ameritech.com>

Internet Area Director(s)
     Philip Almquist  <almquist@jessica.stanford.edu>
     Stev Knowles  <stev@ftp.com>
     Dave Piscitello  <dave@eve.bellcore.com>

Mailing lists:
     General Discussion:iplpdn@nri.reston.va.us
     Archive:           /ietf.mail.archives/iplpdn.mail.archive

Description of Working Group:

The IP over Large Public Data Networks Working Group will
specify the operation of the TCP/IP protocol suite over Public Data
Networks (PDNs) such as SMDS, ISDN, X.25 PDNs, and Frame Relay.  The
Working Group will develop and define algorithms for the resolution of
IP addresses and for the routing of IP datagrams over large,
potentially global, public data networks.

The IP over SMDS Working Group has defined the operation of the
Internet protocols when SMDS is used to support relatively small
virtual private networks, or Logical IP Subnets (LISs).  Issues
arising from public and global connectivity were delegated to the
IPLPDN Working Group.

The IPLPDN Working Group will also continue the work of the Private Data
Network
Routing Working Group (PDNROUT) on X.25 PDNs.  This work will be
extended to include call management and the use of the ISDN B channels
for the transport of IP datagrams.

Address resolution and routing over Frame Relay will also be
discussed.

Goals and Milestones:

          Address resolution of Internet addresses to SMDS E.164

          addresses, to ISDN E.164 addresses, to X.121 addresses,

          and to Frame Relay Data Link Connection Identifiers (DLCIs).

          The algorithm(s) may be defined in either a single or in multiple

          documents.

          Routing of IP datagrams across very large internets implemented

          SMDS and on other PDNs.

          Management of ISDN and of X.25 connections and the use

          of the ISDN B and D channels.

     Done Establish priorities and dates of completion for documents.

Internet-Drafts:

Posted Revised       I-D Title  <Filename>
------ ------- ------------------------------------------
 Jun 92 Jan 93  <draft-ietf-iplpdn-shortcutrouting-02.txt>
                Shortcut Routing: Discovery and Routing over Large Public
Data
                Networks

 Jun 92 Jan 93  <draft-ietf-iplpdn-directed_arp-01.txt>
                Directed ARP

 Jan 93 New     <draft-ietf-iplpdn-framerelay-00.txt>
                Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay Networks

RFC's:

  RFC  Stat Published    Title
------- -- ---------- -----------------------------------------
RFC1293 PS   Jan 92     Inverse Address Resolution Protocol

RFC1294 PS   Jan 92     Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay

RFC1315 PS   Apr 92     Management Information Base for Frame Relay DTEs

RFC1356 PS   Aug 92     Multiprotocol Interconnect on X.25 and ISDN in the
                        Packet Mode

---
IP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode (atm)

Charter

Chair(s):
     Robert Hinden  <hinden@eng.sun.com>

Internet Area Director(s)
     Philip Almquist  <almquist@jessica.stanford.edu>
     Stev Knowles  <stev@ftp.com>
     Dave Piscitello  <dave@eve.bellcore.com>

Mailing lists:
     General Discussion:atm@sun.com
     Archive:           Send message to atm-request@sun.com

Description of Working Group:

The IP over ATM Working Group will focus on the issues involved in
running internetworking protocols over Asynchronous Transfer Mode
(ATM) networks.  The final goal for the Working Group is to produce
standards for the TCP/IP protocol suite and recommendations which
could be used by other internetworking protocol standards (e.g., ISO
CLNP and IEEE 802.2 Bridging).

The Working Group will initially develop experimental protocols for
encapsulation, multicasting, addressing, address resolution, call set
up, and network management to allow the operation of internetwork
protocols over an ATM network.  The Working Group may later submit
these protocols for standardization.

The Working Group will not develop physical layer standards for ATM.
These are well covered in other standard groups and do not need to be
addressed in this Group.

The Working Group will develop models of ATM internetworking
architectures.  This will be used to guide the development of specific IP
over ATM protocols.

The Working Group will also develop and maintain a list of technical
unknowns that relate to internetworking over ATM.  These will be used
to direct future work of the Working Group or be submitted to other
standard or research groups as appropriate.

The Working Group will coordinate its work with other relevant
standards bodies (e.g., ANSI T1S1.5) to insure that it does not
duplicate their work and that its work meshes well with other
activities in this area.  The Working Group will select among ATM
protocol options (e.g., selection of an adaptation layer protocol) and
make recommendations to the ATM standards bodies regarding the
requirements for internetworking over ATM where the current ATM
standards do not meet the needs of internetworking.

Goals and Milestones:

     Done First Meeting.  Establish detailed goals and milestones for
Working
          Group.

     Done Post an Internet-Draft for a mechanism for IP over ATM.
          (Multi-Protocol Interconnect over ATM AAL5)

   Jan 93 Submit the Multi-Protocol Interconnect over ATM AAL5 to the IESG
as a
          Proposed Standard.

   Mar 93 Post Internet-Draft for ``Internet Requirements for ATM
Signaling''.

   Jul 93 Submit ``Internet Requirements for ATM Signaling'' to the IESG
for
          consideration as an Informational Document.

Internet-Drafts:

Posted Revised       I-D Title  <Filename>
------ ------- ------------------------------------------
 Jun 92 Jan 93  <draft-ietf-atm-multipro-05.txt>
                Multiprotocol Interconnect over ATM Adaptation Layer 5

RFC's:

  None to date.
---------
David M. Piscitello