Re: [IPP] IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions v2.0 next draft - question on the F2F minutes

Michael Sweet via ipp <ipp@pwg.org> Wed, 20 May 2020 12:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:33:18 -0400
To: Smith Kennedy <smith.kennedy@hp.com>
Cc: PWG IPP Workgroup <ipp@pwg.org>
Subject: Re: [IPP] IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions v2.0 next draft - question on the F2F minutes
From: Michael Sweet via ipp <ipp@pwg.org>
Sender: ipp <ipp-bounces@pwg.org>

Smith,

So the gist of this is that Clients are looking at the job-state-reasons attribute for 'job-password-wait' when the Job isn't completed, and so for EPX 2.0 we should modify the semantics of job-password to be that output is withheld until the End User enters the job-password value at the printer.  One possible implementation is to put the Job in the 'pending-held' state and delay processing until the password is entered.  Another is to let the Job start processing and then end up in the 'processing-stopped' state until the password is entered.  In these cases the Client will see 'job-password-wait' until the password is entered, and then Job will proceed to a terminating state ('completed', 'canceled', or 'aborted') after processing/output is done, as appropriate.

In the case of Release Printing, there is a third possibility where the Job is processed and put in a terminating state (either 'completed' or 'aborted') with the 'job-password-wait' keyword still present.  Since the Job has reached a terminating state, the state-reasons MUST NOT change once the password is entered for releasing the Job at a particular output device, but Clients stop monitoring Jobs at this point anyways and move on to the next Job in their local queues.

(The Release Printing variation isn't pretty, and maybe we should make the semantic that 'job-password-wait' is only added for Physical Devices?)