Re: Last Call: IPSec DOI Proposed Standard

Avram Shacham <shacham@cisco.com> Thu, 23 April 1998 04:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:48:28 -0700
To: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU>
From: Avram Shacham <shacham@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: IPSec DOI Proposed Standard
Cc: "'iesg@ns.ietf.org'" <iesg@ietf.org>, ipsec@tis.com, ippcp@external.cisco.com

Theodore,

In a simple analogy to IPSec, the 16-bit CPI of IPComp is the equivalent of
the 32-bit SPI, and the 6-bit IPCOMP Transform Identifiers, which define
well-known compression algorithms, are similar to the 8-bit ESP and AH
Transform Identifiers. IPSec DOI provides the numeric and symbolic
definitions for all those Identifiers.

In IPComp, the Transform Identifiers can also serve as CPI, with the
benefit of saving the receiving node the CPU cycles to locate the
compression algorithm by CPI. This method is also handy for manually
configured nodes.

As for the numeric range of the IPComp Transform Identifiers - in Munich,
the IPPCP working-group decided - given the number of existing compression
algorithms - to allocate the IDs 1-63 for such known algorithms. The
decision is reflected in the IPComp I-D. The DOI document did not follow
this decision.

In IPSec/IKE bakeoff in March 98, several vendors successfully negotiated
IPComp using IKE, so I see no conflict here. Also, IANA did read and
provided comments to the IPComp I-D and those comments were incorporated in
the document.

Therefore, the right way to go is to correct the DOI doc.

Regards,
avram