Re: [ippm] Proposed charter updates for IPPM

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Sun, 09 July 2017 17:23 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>, IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:22:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [73.178.187.36]
Subject: Re: [ippm] Proposed charter updates for IPPM

Hi Brian and Bill,

Thanks for preparing a new charter proposal and organizing
this message to highlight the changes. I agree with your
proposals.

I have one further proposal for the last sentence of
paragraph 1.

OLD (and your NEW):
Metrics developed by the IPPM WG are intended to provide unbiased
quantitative performance measurements and not a value judgement.

I propose to delete/replace the last phrase, which I think has been present
since the very first charter. IIRC, the concern was that contributions
might attempt to establish service acceptance thresholds, or other
numerical performance requirements/objectives using the metrics.
The work of setting numerical objectives proceeded elsewhere
(ITU-T Rec Y.1541), and the Earth continued to rotate.

If we want to ensure the status quo, we could say:
s/and not a value judgement/but numerical thresholds for the metrics are out-of-scope/

I also suggest this change with MBM in mind, where we have
testing outcomes of Pass/Fail/Inconclusive (PFI). Of course, the user
supplies the target rate, RTT, and/or loss ratio numerical values,
not the working group.

So we could express an explicit restriction that does not hamper MBM PFI:

NEW^2:
Metrics developed by the IPPM WG are intended to provide unbiased
quantitative performance measurements, but numerical thresholds for
the metrics are out-of-scope.

Or, we could remove the phrase, and refer any contributions on
numerical thresholds to ITU-T SG 12, Question 17, to avoid
overlapping work with another SDO (coordination with this SDO
should also be mentioned somewhere).

NEW^3:
Metrics developed by the IPPM WG are intended to provide unbiased
quantitative performance measurements.

thanks for considering this proposal, and regards,
Al