[ippm] RE draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-04

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Tue, 20 May 2014 00:57 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: "alissa@cooperw.in" <alissa@cooperw.in>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 20:57:21 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: [ippm] RE draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-04

Hi Alissa,

Thanks for your comment:
Section 3.1.2:

	"This payload content could be either
	   generated by a random device or by using part of a compressed file
	   (e.g., a part of a ZIP compressed archive)."

	Not sure what is meant by a random device. Surely the same device originally
	emitting the test traffic could emit traffic less likely to be compressed?

	I was also surprised that this section does not discuss the rise in transport
	layer encryption, which I would expect to counteract the push towards
	in-network optimization in some cases.

We've clarified that the random payload content could be generated
by a pseudo-random sequence generator.

Also, this section of the draft was written in Autumn 2012,
and exposure of widespread surveillance has changed the world
since then. We're happy to "update the update" to mention the
e2e encryption and its counteraction of optimizations in-network.
Diffs for the revised text attached.

regards,
Joachim and Al