Re: [ippm] Comments on draft-ietf-ippm-framework-compagg-00

Anura Jayasumana <Anura.Jayasumana@Colostate.edu> Tue, 21 March 2006 17:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:31:44 -0700
From: Anura Jayasumana <Anura.Jayasumana@Colostate.edu>
To: "Philip F. Chimento Jr." <vze275m9@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [ippm] Comments on draft-ietf-ippm-framework-compagg-00
Cc: ippm@ietf.org

Henk Uijterwaal wrote:

> Phil,
>
>> The problem that I have with this section is that it doesn't give me
>> very strong or concrete reasons for why I want to combine metrics.
>

> Suppose I have a path A-B-C.  I'm interested in the delays between them.
> Now, I can measure all 3 (A-B, B-C and A-B-C) separately.  However, if
> there is a way to add up the delays between A-B and B-C, and get the
> overall delay, then i can see myself some work and diskspace.  In
> general,
> I'd be interested in the minimum set of measurements that still gives
> me information about the entire network.
>
>>  Section 5.1: The problem here is that piece-wise measurements do
>> not necessarily combine. IPDV and re-ordering are examples where one
>> subsection of a network can "undo" what a previous one has done.
>> Putting these together in a straightforward way doesn't give you the
>> right answer.

With delays,  if the packet delays in the two networks are not
correlated, it is still possible to measure statistics of  delays of
segments and combine them to provide end-to-end delay statistics.  When
delays are correlated, it becomes necessary to measure correlation as
well.... which would be more complex.
Reordering is somewhat of a harder problem. But, when  captured using RD
(reorder density), you can combine the reordering in different segments
and still come up with end-to-end reordering.  Combination is done using
convolution, which would be the case for delay also.  One thing going
for RD is the fact that reordering in two network segments are less
likely to be correlated compared to delay.  We have carried out many
mesurements on Internet, planet-lab, simulations, etc., and are yet to
see a case where it did not work - for reordering.
(See http://www.cnrl.colostate.edu/packet_reorder.html )
Cheers!
AJ

> I agree but can't we just say so?
>
> Henk

> Henk Uijterwaal                           Email:
> henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
> RIPE Network Coordination Centre
> http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
> P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
> 1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
> The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746

Anura P. Jayasumana <http://www.engr.colostate.edu/%7Eanura>
Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
                           and Computer Science
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523
Phone: (970) 491-7855