Re: [ippm] [lmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lmap-framework-05.txt

Vero Zheng <vero.zheng@huawei.com> Thu, 29 May 2014 12:04 UTC

From: Vero Zheng <vero.zheng@huawei.com>
To: "philip.eardley@bt.com" <philip.eardley@bt.com>, "gregimirsky@gmail.com" <gregimirsky@gmail.com>, "lmap@ietf.org" <lmap@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-lmap-framework@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-lmap-framework@tools.ietf.org>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:04:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.115]
Subject: Re: [ippm] [lmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lmap-framework-05.txt

Dear Authors, et. al,

Please see my comments for the latest version of LMAP framework document below. I also include IPPM WG in the thread since I believe its valuable.

1. Active Measurement Method
I like the way Greg define the Active Measurement Method which I quote below. To me, it is more intuitive to define the method as the process of measuring on traffic than referring to the measurement task.
I also agree that the Active Measurement Traffic could also be updated accordingly.

Active Measurement Method - The process of measuring some performance or reliability parameter associated with the transfer of Traffic by generating and/or receiving Active Measurement Traffic.

2, Passive Measurement Method
The current definition says: Passive Measurement Method (Task)- A Measurement Method (Task) in which a Measurement Agent observes existing traffic but does not inject Active Measurement Traffic.

The word "observe" exclude many existing measurement schemes, which are currently discussed in IPPM, as passive measurement method. My suggestion is to define the Passive Measurement Method as following:

Passive Measurement Method- The process of measuring some performance or reliability parameter associated with the existing traffic on the network.

This definition may need to be honed, but it makes a clear line between active and passive. For active, you are measuring on the injected traffic. For passive, on the other hand, you are measuring on the existing traffic on the network.
The key point for passive measurement, imho, is you are measuring on the REAL traffic on the network. For specific method, you may do something more than just observing. Examples can be found http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elkins-ippm-pdm-metrics-04 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ippm-coloring-based-ipfpm-framework-01. But as long as you are measuring on the existing traffic, your method should be consider as passive.

Another benefit of this definition is it avoids the concept of "pure passive", which has never be properly defined and vague.
Someone may consider these so called not "pure passive" measurement method as hybrid. But in that case the Hybrid Measurement Method itself need to be properly defined first.
The discussion about hybrid happened in IPPM mainly about how to combining active and passive. It mentions some form of hybrid, such as "combined hybrid" and "concurrent hybrid", which I don't see these example methods fall in any of the category.

People in IPPM is working on the Framework of Passive Measurements, we will submit the document soon. The definition of passive measurements is very important and the coordination between two working group is essential. I believe now is the key time to have both working group looking on it.
I would like the authors consider my suggestion on the definition and encourage discussion in the working group.

BR,
Vero